Chapter 12

No one was prepared for the events of Saturday night. They were all, including Mum, engaging in a pleasant game of canasta at the meals table, when a knock on the door was heard.

It was 9:00pm. "Who could that be?" said Mum. The weather was wild, stirring snow about. Surely no one of good intentions would be knocking on the door this late at night. "Ignore it," said Mum.

So they did. The knocking came again. Then, after about ten seconds, a key turned in the lock.

Harry and Mum jumped up. They both knew Louis had never turned in his key. Mum hadn't asked it of him. Meanwhile, the boys had put their cards down and were looking towards the hallway.

"I'll get it," said Zayn, standing up. "I'm the man of the house."

However, they all followed Zayn to the door. He switched on the hall light to reveal-

"Louis!"

Harry was less surprised than Zayn. They all crowded around him, wondering what was going on. It was obvious Louis had been crying; his eyes were puffy and rimmed in red. His beanie was soaked through. He tolerated the attention like a scared rabbit looking for escape.

"Boys," said Mum, "back off him." They all obeyed. Mum came forward. "Louis. What brings you to our door so late?"

"I just need Harry," he said.

Harry came forward and hugged Louis. He was wet.

"But this late at night?" said Mum. "Won't your father be worried?"

"No, he couldn't give a stuff about me," said Louis. "He kicked me out of the house."

"He what?"

"He kicked me out," repeated Louis. "He doesn't want to see me any more."

"But why?" asked Mum.

Harry had told Louis how he'd come out to everyone in the family; how they'd all been supportive. It could be the only reason why Louis blurted, "I came out as bisexual to my dad and stepmum. I told them I was in a relationship with another boy. They threw me out."

"Oh my goodness," said Mum. "What were they thinking? Come into the house, honey. You're all wet."

"My dad said, 'you're an Austin, you're supposed to carry on the family name'," said Louis, following them all into the main room. "Can I stay here?"

"Of course you can," said Mum. "I'll just have to phone your father to let him know where you are."

"I don't want him to know where I am," said Louis.

"Nevertheless, I have to inform him."

"Like he'll care anyway," said Louis. "Go on, tell him, might as well."

"Get out of those damp things," said Mum. "You're shivering. Go with Liam, he'll lend you some clothes. You can sleep in Harry's old bed."

"I had to walk from the bus station," said Louis. "There was no connecting bus."

"You poor boy. The weather's awful. You should have a hot shower to warm you up. Here, give me your coat and beanie."

Louis handed his sodden coat and beanie over and went down the passage with Liam.

"No, Harry, don't follow him," said Mum. "Let him get cleaned up."

Harry gazed longingly down the passage, but did as he was told. Niall and Zayn were casting glances back and forth between each other and Harry.

"Louis is bi?" said Niall. "Never saw that one coming."

"I knew about it. Harry knew about it," said Zayn.