Chapter 07

The Other Side

Chapter 07

Date: 10/23/15

Brennan

We ended up going to the 99 with the LeBlancs. I couldn't help but notice Annie looking at me for a while. When I looked back and smiled a little, she looked away and kept talking to Katie.

Now, I kind of liked Annie, but I was afraid if I started dating her the guys on my water polo team would tease me because she's younger than me. I mean, she's almost 11, so I guess we wouldn't be TOO too young. . .

I'd be 17 and she'd be 15. . .

I'd be 28 and she'd be 26. . .

I'd be 74 and she'd be 72. . .

"Young man?"

I jerked my head up as everyone stared at me. All I could see right now was Annie.

It's silent for a very long time.

"Brennan? Tell the waitress what you want."

I felt like such an idiot.

"Um, could I have, anything with bacon? Surprise me."

The waitress shrugged. "Alright." She wrote something down in her little notebook.

"And you, young lady?" She asked Annie.

"Hmmm, what about Bacon? Rice? Eggs? Nachos? Nothing? Anchovies? Nothing again?" Annie practically yelled.

It's even more silent than when the waitress asked me what I wanted.

"What's gotten into her?" I saw Mr. Billy mouth to Ms. Katie.

She shrugged.

"Uh, okay, well, young lady with the blonde hair? What would you—"

"Um, sorry, but Brennan and I need to use the bathroom first," she said quickly, grabbing my hand.

"What the heck was that for Katie?" She just handed me a folded piece of paper.

I opened it and read it:

Waitress: "and you, young lady?"

Annie: "hmmm, what about...

Bacon?

Rice?

Eggs?

Nachos?

Nothing?

Anchovies?

Nothing again?"

Huh?

"Thanks Katie," I said. "But what does she mean?"

"No problem," she said as we walked back to the table. "But that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out. Please don't tell Annie I told you, but I think she like you."

That's all I needed to hear.

Unknown (???)

My parents had been arguing a lot lately. I hoped they don't get a divorce.

My life had really been upside down lately.

I had a brother and a sister.

They were nice but they didn't really understand me.

Sometimes I forgot my own name.

I think it started with an A. Or J. Or Q. Or L.

I'm pretty sure I had a nickname as well.

Guess I'll find out soon.

Annie

I glared at Katie as she came back from the "bathroom" with Brennan. Then I buried my face into my hands.

Ugh! What was WRONG with me? Couldn't I have kept my mouth shut for ONCE?

Obviously Katie told Brennan I liked him. My parents always said, "No boys until the age of 16." But then I had to wait almost 5 years to date Brennan! Five years!

What if we dated in secret? My parents would literally KILL me!

Our food came and I took a bite of my grilled cheese. "Hey Katie, wanna make a musical.ly?" I asked her.

She glared at me then rolled her eyes. "Okay," she said. We made one to "Roar" by Katy Perry. We were going to make another one when Mom said, "Annie! Off the phone! I mean it!"

After we ate, Mommy asked if any of use needed to go to the bathroom. Our dads and Ms. Jill needed to go, and so did Katie and Hayley. Mommy and Ms. Jill took the girls. And that left me and Brennan. Oh no. . .

"Hey," Brennan said, sorta smiling at me.

Okay, he could've talked to me this whole time while we were eating! I'm about to give him a piece of my mind!

"Hey, y—hey," I said.

I felt my ears burn.

Brennan just grinned while Katie and Hayley come out of the bathroom. Katie nudged Brennan and grinned too. What a traitor! I thought she was on my side!

I don't know why but suddenly I got so nervous I thought I could barely breathe. Before I knew it we were in the car and I find out for the first time that Hayley got her back handspring today.