Chapter Two

Alone in her bedroom, a girl awoke from a loud bang. Her door had been thrown open and in the archway stood her mother, father and two younger brothers. When she opened her eyes, the first thing she saw was their beaming faces. Her gaze dropped first to her brothers, Zane and Andor, who were both under the age of 7. Their angelic smiles were all she needed to get out of bed in the morning. However, she got more than she had hoped. As her gaze slid upwards, she saw a long piece of black cloth lying across her mothers’ arms. “Congratulations sweetheart. The full moon rose last night. Your celebration is 3 days away.” She said quietly.

“You had better get up. You need to begin your training.” Her father continued with a small smile. At his last words, her head began to spin as memories. The horse. The deer. The owl. The snake. The eagle. The tiger. The fight. She runs a hand over her shoulder, feeling a slight bump. Her mother rushes to her side and places an arm around her shoulder.

"Are you alright darling?"

"Yes, I'm fine mother."

"Well, breakfast is waiting when you're ready. Then your father will take you into town. We have to begin preparing. I'll explain more over breakfast." And with that her mother left the room. Her father placed the covered object in the cupboard next to her door. He walked over and bent to kiss her forehead, then gave her a reassuring hug and left.

Her brothers ran and tackled her onto her bed, begging to know what her birthday meant. But she couldn't tell them, for she did not know herself. She ushered the boys out of her room, shut the door and began getting dressed for the day ahead.  After selecting a simple pair of black leggings and shirt, she mad her he way to the kitchen where her mother had laid out breakfast. The rest of her family were sitting, waiting expectantly for the final member to join them.

After she sat at the table, he father spoke up.

"Boys you can eat. Jay, let me explain. Your birthday is in three days. That means that we have three days to prepare you for the celebrations. Now, after breakfast, you and I will take a trip into town. After we have taken care of that, we will return here and I will begin a part of your training. Tomorrow, your mother will take you and teach you what you need to know for the celebration as well as continue what I have taught you. The third and final day will consist of a half day of practice and revision, then a final touch up of the celebrations. You will not be permitted to see the venue until the day of. This will not only test your ability to adapt to your surroundings but also keeps the secret of the coming of age birthday. Any questions?"

"When do we start?"

"Finish your breakfast and wash up. Your father and I will wait her for you, dear." Her mother said.

Jaelithe scarfed down the final remnants of her breakfast, then sprinted to the bathroom. After waiting the usual few minutes for the mill-powered town water to get going. After washing up, she ran to her room and pulled on her usual leather boots, slipping her old knife into a sheath on the inside of her right boot. "You can never be too careful. Keep this with you at all times." Her father had said, when he presented it to her all those years ago. It was a medium sized weapon, with a handle wrapped in black leather, a small canine tooth dangling off the end as a good luck charm and a sharp blade, serrated near the handle.