Chapter 1

8Harry8

                I turned on a dark unfamiliar street in hopes to find shelter from the rain that was pouring down profusely. Unfortunately, there was nothing but two rows of houses that sat on either side of the street. “Shit.” I said to myself. I began to walk on the long street until I reached the end which only led to a dead end. I sighed and tried to find a way to cut between houses to lead me somewhere other than here. I hated wandering the streets, but I have no other choice. I refuse to move back in with my mother, who absolutely hates my guts. She’s the reason I’m out here in the cold.

                After finding myself on another street, I found a park. I looked around for a place to go only to find a yellow tunnel with holes in it. It will have to do for right now. I ran to the tunnel, almost slipping along the way. I crawled in and bundled up, wrapping my arms around myself to keep myself warm. Being a nomad was a horrid lifestyle; especially when I have a mother and a sister who could care for me, but instead they choose not to even deal with me. They shunned me because they didn’t agree with my lifestyle choices. I thought family was supposed to love you unconditionally but whoever said that must not have met my family.

                Morning came almost immediately, it seems. I was awoken by a small voice and shuffling of feet. I sat up, well tried without success. Instead, I hit my head. For a second, I forgot that I was sleeping in this tunnel at the park. I sheepishly crawled out to see a tall boy who was obviously older than me and a little boy standing by his side. “Louis, why was he in there?” the little boy whispered pointing at me. The sky was painted gray with storm clouds passing by at a faster pace with a bit of fog hovering in the atmosphere.

                “It’s not polite to point, Theo. Let’s just go get breakfast for your brother, yeah?” the older boy said grabbing the little boys hand and walking away, looking at me with sympathy in his eyes. I watched them both disappear into the morning’s fog. Not knowing what time it was, I began heading over to the side of town I was most familiar with. It only took me an hour to get there. I stood only a few feet away from the place where I spent my childhood. No car was in the driveway and I knew that no one was home so it would be the perfect time to grab something to eat and possibly some clothes and money.

                I dug into my dirty pockets to pull out a piece of paper and a quarter. I checked my other pocket and I pulled out my house key. I looked around before walking up to the house and swiftly sticking the key in and opening the door. I closed and locked it before moving about the house. I walked past my sister’s room and found my way into my old one. I opened the door hearing the old creaking sound that I had gotten used to and walked in closing it behind me.  I inhaled the scent of the room which wasn’t very pleasant but wasn’t very bad either. It was a stale kind of smell, like the room hadn’t been cleaned in months. I walked over to my closet and opened it slowly revealing the clean clothes that I longed for. I grabbed a suitcase from off of the floor and began stuffing it with clothes and only 3 pair of shoes. I didn’t take everything because I didn’t want it to be obvious that I had been there but enough that could last me for a while.

                 I walked over to my dresser and grabbed some undergarments that I could use. I grabbed a bottle of deodorant and my comb. Although I was living on the streets, I still had to keep my hair combed. It’s just a habit of nature. Before I was about to open my door, I heard the front door slam. I panicked and found myself quickly trying to hide my suitcase in the closet. Once it was in, I crawled under my bed as soon as I heard my room door opened. I covered my mouth and looked at the shoes. I heard a heavy sigh before I heard a familiar voice speak. “I miss you so much. I hope you’re okay.” My one and only sister said. She misses me? I sure can’t tell by the cruel way she treated me before I was forced to live on the streets. I watched her walk out of my room leaving me in silence. It lasted until I heard the front door slam once more and was soon locked.