1.4

"When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone. Then I found out that she was alive. I was just lucky to have her," Steve told Natasha as he stood in his black suit in the aisle of the church.

The worst message he thought he would ever receive had arrived. Peggy Carter, the woman he had loved - who he would ALWAYS love - was gone. She had passed peacefully in her sleep of old age and she was gone forever.

"She had you back, too," Natasha told the man, standing ever so slightly behind him as she placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. She knew what it was like to lose someone, and she knew he was in deep pain.

"Who else signed?" Steve asked, turning to face Natasha as he realised that she had signed the Accords. His heart ached at the fact that he might turn against his friends, but there was just something about the accords that made him remarkably uncomfortable.

"Tony. Rhodey. Vision," Natasha said, Steve sighed as he heard his friends names.

"Clint?"

"Says he's retired," Natasha said, a small smile on her face as she thought about her best friend retiring into family life at the farm. She knew he would somehow find his way back into this mess, but she really hoped that for once she was going to be wrong.

"Scottie? Wanda?"

Natasha sighed, knowing that that question had a lot of complications behind it. Wanda and Scottie were most likely going to suffer no matter what way either of them signed and they all just prayed that the fallout wasn't bad.

"TBD. I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There's plenty of room on the jet," she offered, already knowing what his answer was going to be. Steve sighed, bowing his head as he didn't answer her. "Just because it's the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together."

Steve shook his head sadly, not sure where they would go from all of this.

"What are we giving up to do it?" Natasha sighed before he continued. "I'm sorry, Nat. I can't sign it."

The woman nodded a sad smile on her face as she looked at him.

"I know."

"Then what are you doing here?" Steve furrowed his eyebrows slightly, confused on why she had turned up to Peggy's funeral.

"I didn't want you to be alone," she said, shrugging slightly as his eyes softened at her words. Steve allowed her to pull him in for a hug, the two of them sharing a friendly embrace for what they didn't realise might have been the last time.

_____

"The rest are flying out to Vienna as we speak," Scottie murmured, her legs tangled with Wanda's as they lay under the covers in Wanda's room. Her words were soft, but the instantly ruined the relaxed mood from their previous actions. "I think we need to talk."

Wanda sighed as she sat up, removing her arms from where they had been wrapped around Scottie's bare waist. She reached over, tugging on Scottie's discarded hoodie on from where they had thrown it only an hour prior, before turning back around to look at the girl. Sighing as she thought about the conversation that they were about to have, Wanda hopped out of the bed with the hoodie covering to her mid thigh as she threw the rest of Scottie's clothes back to her.

"We should at least get dressed first," the Sokovian muttered, knowing that this conversation was going to go one of two ways. She was pretty sure that Scottie had already decided what she was doing the second the accords had been placed on to the table and the only thing holding her back was Wanda.