The Promposal

I woke up like every usual day. I got dressed in a slightly over sized hoodie, and a pair of black leggings. I tied my hair up in a high ponytail and put my phone in my pocket. I put on my white Adidas shoes, grabbed my book bag off the wooden chair in the corner, and walked into the kitchen to see my mom trying a new recipe, or baking something. It was just a normal day. I grabbed a donut my mom made, and walked outside to catch the bus. I got on the bus and sat next to my best friend Amelia. We talked about what current events would be happening at school, and prom was the biggest topic. Every girl wanted Dylan Matthews to ask them to the dance. But we all knew people like him had his eyes set on Sasha Turner. 

        Sasha was the classic bleach blond with ruby red lips and fair skin. Those girls who wear short dresses and high heels. The original basic girl. I am the one you would consider a wallflower. We see and hear all, but choose not to get into the drama. We are kinda friends with everybody. Well, most of us are. The only people I don't really talk to are people like Sasha and Dylan. 

        We arrived at the school and I saw a large striped box with a red bow on top, and a large tag that read Amelia. Amelia stepped off the bus and opened the box. Tony Quinn jumped out of the box with a puppy stuffed animal, and a sign that read, "PROM?" Amelia jumped back slightly, then looked at me. She was so red and was grinning. I could tell she was excited. She said yes, and hugged him. Amelia and Tony had been dating for almost six months. They were both extremely happy in their relationship. Dylan was Tony's best friend. Tony, Amelia, and I have all been friends since kindergarten. When Dylan moved here in second grade, I instantly tried to stay away from him. I don't really know why, it just seemed like he was one of "those" kids. Nothing against people like him, its just i did not want caught up in all the girls he was hanging out with.

        I said bye to to Tony and Amelia, and walked into school. I did not expect to see Dylan at my locker. "Hey, Bailey, can I ask you something?" he said.

        "What," I said, "I am kind of in a rush."

        "What are you doing this Friday? I-I-I'm asking for a friend," he said stumbling on his words a little.

        "Well tell your "friend" that i will be studying. We have a calculus test coming up, and I don't feel like failing, Mr. Bermuda Triangle," I said

        "Whats that supposed to mean?" he said sounding offended.

        "It means you have lost more homework assignments this year than anyone. Like the Bermuda Triangle," I say, "Things just go missing."

        "Just think about having a little fun this weekend. Come on. I feel like I have known you forever but never really got to know you."

        "I will see what I can do." I say.

        "Okay, text me if you feel like it." he says handing me a slip of paper with his number on it. I fold it up, and put it behind my phone in my phone case.

-Later that day-

        School ends slowly and I take the number from behind my phone case and text Dylan. I ask him what his plans are for Friday. It does not take long for him to reply, and i read, "Hopefully take you out to get to know you Ms. Head in the Clouds." I ask him what he means and he says, "Don't act like you don't stare into space in school often. I sit near you in most of our classes."

        "So you admit it. You watch me in class."

        "I may or may not catch myself looking at that beautiful face of yours." I don't know why, but I catch myself blushing. Dylan is growing on me. In a way, he is kinda cute. I text him I am down for Friday, and he tells me his plans.

-Friday-

        The bus rolls up to the school and I see Amelia was there early. She stands with Tony, and i can see everyone standing off to the side of the path of school. Rose petals are scattered everywhere. Amelia steps out of the way and gestures for me to walk into the school. I walk into the building and I see Dylan standing in the hallway. The school is completely empty except for the two of us. We both walk towards each other. I can see he is not dressed as usual. He usually wears a Letterman's jacket, a tee shirt and jeans. Today he is wearing a nice shirt, and khaki pants. His hands are held behind his back. He pulls his hand forward and i see a red bouquet of roses. He gets on one knee and grabs my hand. He says, "Bailey Williams, this week getting to know you has been so fun. I am happy you agreed to go out with me tonight. Will you go to prom with me?