An Experience In Failurity

Loosely based off of ‘Waking Life,’ a movie. Google it, if you so desire.

    The sun masks more than the dark ever did. You can hide anything in the daylight, but at night, you know what’s going on. You are more aware. The dark never lies to you, it doesn’t have a reason. I know I should be scared of the dark, and it doesn’t attempt to dissuade this fact.

    But I was never aware that bad things could happen in daylight.

    It was exactly 11:00 when I woke up, AM. I was tired, but in the way where you’ve gotten more than enough sleep. I was the kind of tired of when, after a week of alarm clocks waking you, you wake up on your own terms.

    I stood up, stretched, and went to the kitchen. My mom was in there, and she sort of glared at me upon my entering. In her opinion, waking any time after 0900h. is reprehensible behaviour.

    Then she made me chocolate chip waffles, and I ate them by folding them into fourths and opening my mouth way too wide and devouring them in a sort of leviathanesque way, and my mom told me not to eat waffles like that in public, because it made me look like I did not have manners.

    I shrugged, and when I finished, I went back to my room. I thought, if someone gave us an option, we would stay caged. It is easier. I thought, laziness is more dominant than fear, even, for the human race.

    Sometimes, my friends called the way I thought labyrinthine, said I seemingly jumped from one topic to another. And maybe I do.

    I sat down at my chair. It was Sunday morning. I did not attend church- this does not expressly mean I am not religious, though maybe it does mean that overall my family believes other things to be more important than attending church every Sunday morning.

    I began to work on homework that I had procrastinated on during Friday and Saturday by watching My Little Pony and listening to music and claiming that I absolutely couldn’t work on it because there were other more important things to do, such as finishing the seventh season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which I still haven’t finished, so I should go watch that.

    The homework-doing began with maths, which I did a lot of, but it wasn’t due until Tuesday and after working on it for three hours, I decided not to finish.

    Stretching, I stood up, and as I did so, my surroundings evaporated.

    I was in Barnes and Noble, at the mall. I stood in the Science Fiction section, where Supernatural, Star Wars, Doctor Who books and such were collected, and by the comic books, some of which I’d been meaning to read, as in say The Walking Dead.

    A man stood in the aisle next to me. He asked, “Ever read Game of Thrones?” as if I had not just suddenly appeared here.

     “No,” I said. I hadn’t. “I’ve heard it’s good, though.”

    He nodded, acting as if I’d said something very serious. “It is. You read it.” He shook his finger at me, ordering me to.

    “I will.” I said. I didn’t necessarily plan to. I just preferred getting along.

    He looked at me. “Nah. You won’t. Or at least, you don’t mean it. Don’t say stuff you don’t mean.” He was just a bit taller than me. His hair was lighter than mine, and he appeared to be in his late thirties or early forties.

    “Um. Okay.” I said.

     Then I was in a sterilized white room, a cafeteria of some sort. I scanned the crowd. I wondered idly what was going on, but as in dreams, I didn’t follow the thought for very long.