Chapter 34

The garrison was quiet for the next few days; Christmas was little over a week away and several of the regiment were on leave with their families. Edward Boudain had been formally identified as the man with the pistol, and had been assimilated into the plot to assassinate the King; Louis had not been particularly interested to know why, he was just happy to have an explanation. He had pardoned Marie of all involvement, and there had been no mention of the money found at the Boudain house, so at least she would not be without support. Athos had been up and about, despite Aramis' complaints, but as nothing would keep him in the infirmary, they had allowed him to go back to his own room.

Athos was surprised when Aramis knocked on his door and entered.

'I thought you were on palace duty this morning?' Athos queried. Aramis shrugged his shoulders.

'Treville reassigned me. He has sent me to fetch you, he wants to talk to you.' Athos quirked his brow and looked at the ceiling.

'Why? I have not blown anything up lately.' Aramis chuckled at the typical quip.

'I genuinely have no idea, my friend.' The two men walked down the hallway in companionable silence, though Athos sensed that Aramis had something he wanted to say. However, he knew that if he waited long enough the Musketeer would unburden himself. As they neared Treville's' door, Aramis placed his hand on Athos' arm. 'I will be just below if you need me.' Athos frowned but nodded, then knocked on the wooden door.

'Come,' the voice answered. Athos opened the door. He was walking almost without hesitation now, getting only the occasionally twinge as the skin healed over his numerous wounds. He had been remarkably lucky – Aramis had explained how being unconscious before he hit the ground had probably saved his life, that and the heavy drifts of snow.

'Athos, it is good to see you looking so well,' smiled the Captain. 'Take a seat.' As always, Athos perched on the edge of the chair, up straight and formal, as though ready to bolt. Treville straightened the paper on his desk, whilst he decided how to begin. It was not as if he had not planned this speech a thousand times, yet each time he had changed his script, and even now he had not decided on the best approach.

'I think we have given the King long enough to be able to consider events clearly now, and I would like to take you before His Majesty to request your commission in the regiment.' He watched Athos carefully, gauging his reaction. The young man looked astonished.

'Will he agree?' was his honest reaction. Treville decided on an equally honest answer.

'I do not know, son, but now is the right time to find out. I want you in the regiment... if that is what you want?' Athos glanced at the Captain and Treville was appalled at the look in the young man's eyes. What was he afraid of? Rejection? Well, there was nothing else for it, there was something that he needed to tell the man.

'Some years ago, I was just a young soldier in the army. We were drafted in to bolster the guards at the King's birthday party, Louis you understand, he was just a boy – ten maybe.' He noted Athos stiffen. 'I was chosen because of my age. There were many children I suppose, and they thought younger men would be better. It was a fairly trying assignment.' He smiled, but Athos looked at him as if turned to stone. 'Most of the children played games, with hoops and swings, and ran in and out of the maze. But one boy in particular showed me his new toy soldiers.' Now he had Athos' attention. So he had not made the connection earlier then? Treville was not surprised. 'The boy could not have been more than ten, yet he had a maturity beyond his years. He showed me his strategies for several campaigns, and told me where he thought they had gone wrong. I remember him because...' Athos suddenly spoke, though his voice was low and shaking.