Queen of Thieves: Initial Thoughts

Plot: Being a starving artist isn't so romantic, until you're swept up in a heist by the Gilded Poppy: the world's most infamous thieves! They steal only the rarest of the rare and this time their target is... you!? Are you ready for a world of con games, daring escapes, and thrilling romance?

Initial Thoughts: Okay, I will admit, this story wasn't as horrible as I expected it to be. Like it's not bad which I should have expected as this seems to happen a lot with lovestruck stories. They take tropes I don't like (gangsters, theives, bad boys, insta love) and some how makes it good which is very incredible how they can do that. This story was no different.

The Prologue: At first, I didn't feel a spark with most of the initial characters until we got to Leon. At this point the story seemed real meh and I didn't care about it. Then again, this was my same thought with gangsters in love as I was going into it with the mindset that I don't like gang stories. The prologue wasn't anything special but it was okay.

First we meet Nikolai. I didn't pay much attention to their conversation so yeah, he's already boring me. I think they talked about art and the cat? Elizabeth is the cats name right? Their first conversation felt quite forgettable to me.

I wasn't very interested in Vivienne's conversation either as it just seemed kind of strange. She got some random persons opinion on Jewelry. It's a good intro to her character but their interaction felt a little forced. However their interaction makes more sense later when you get to the end of the prologue.

Zoe I found more interesting than the previous two. She was the hacker I'm pretty sure. I found it interesting when she put the mc's art on the wall. Like Vivienne, it seemed random that she decides to talk to her about art and whatever however again, all that is resolved later.

What's different about Jett rather than the previous two love interests is his interactions with the main character made a lot more sense. He asked for a volunteer and the mc volunteered and boom! Trapped! I see him being somewhat playful in the future but we don't know much about him yet so we'll see.

That being said, after we met Remy, I found him to be the more playful one. He seemed nice at first trying to make sure the mc got her home safely but then you realize that's not the case. However in Nikolai and Vivienne's routes, he does seem very friendly again. He seems like the best friend character in the routes so far, trying to help the mc find love with whoever she is pursuing.

Then we have my initial favourite, Leon. I can't really explain why I liked him the best exactly, I just found him and the mc connected the best (or he connected the best with me. I don't know.) just with conversations and stuff. He seemed nice and I've found him quiet and mysterious in other routes so far (I seem to have a thing for that *cough* ash *cough*) so I'm most excited for his route.

The end of the prologue still has me lost. I still don't completely understand why these Thieves want her but I believe we'll find out later on in the story.

Nikolai & Vivienne: To be honest, I wasn't to crazy about these two routes to begin with. After reading Nikolai's first three chapters, I still find him boring. He's just not entertaining and rude. Like why does the mc even want to follow him around cause of how boring and annoying he is. all of their interactions feel super forced for this reason.

As for Vivienne, I was surprised how much I enjoyed the first three chapters. I find her interesting. She's quite different from Nikolai so maybe that's why I like her so much. For one, she sleeps unlike grumpy Niki. She also is nice, also unlike grumpy Niki. I love the way the two interact.

Something I found with Nikolai as he just kind of acted like the boss of her and he feels like he has control over her emotions. Where as with Vivienne, I felt as she looked at the mc more in an equal way. She brought the mc along on her heists rather than anyone else and I just liked the way she treated the mc.

Overall: I don't see this becoming one of my favourite stories but it's alright. It has exceeded my expectations in some areas but it was also my expectations in others. I'll have to wait for more chapters to be released before I have more thoughts but I am excited to read more of Vivienne and I'm excited for the other routes.

Stay tuned for all of my thoughts on Vivienne and Nikolai's routes once their first season finishes!