Signs of Devotion part 4

“I need you to go undercover for me…” Greg Lestrade’s voice could be heard coming out of Sherlock’s mobile.

John was pottering about in the lounge tidying up bits and pieces around Sherlock who was draped over the sofa in his dressing gown.

“This is barely a 3 Lestrade, why would I bother going under cover?” Sherlock drawled lazily from his horizontal position, his hand barely holding the phone up to his ear as if it was just too much effort.

“Sherlock! Children are involved here… it’s really important that we wrap up this case quickly to prevent any more from going missing.” Greg sounded agitated but it didn’t register with the world’s only consulting detective.

“Boring!” He declared loudly.

“Sherlock no, let’s take the case! For the Children Sherlock.” John interjected before his flat mate could put the phone down on Lestrade.

“Joooohn…” Sherlock groaned. “I’m sure it’s very simple. Even Anderson will probably work it out.”

John stared at him with a very disapproving face, arms folded and stood firmly in front of him.

Sherlock stared back.

John maintained the eye contact and nodded his head once.

“Fine, fine, apparently we will take the case.” Sherlock snapped in to the phone.

“Well thank you for being so gracious about it.” The DI grumbled on the other end.

“If you’re going to be sarcastic…”

“No no! I’m very pleased that you’re on board with us.”

Sherlock started slapping on several nicotine patches just to annoy John. “So, elaborate. You need us to go undercover?”

“Yes… children are going missing from a small private adoption centre in London. I want you two to apply to adopt a child and go through their system. I’m hoping you will come across something suspicious.”

“You want ME to adopt a child?” Sherlock asked suddenly sitting up straight on the sofa. He thought he heard John choke on something behind him.

“No obviously you don’t actually go that far.” Greg sounded fairly horrified at the thought. “I just want you and John to go through their process of applying.”

“Woah!” Suddenly John had an opinion on the matter. “Me and Sherlock… as in… pretend to be a couple?”

“We should be married really, it would make our application more successful.” Sherlock said matter-of-factly.

“Hold on…” John tried to interject.