0.5

"You really aren't a fan of getting tanned."

"I'm really not a fan of skin cancer."

Abby burst into a fit of laughter as she sat up on her side pool chair. Looking over at me in the pool.

"The waters great by the way. I'm having fun but.. you know what would make this funner? If you came in with me." I pout.

"Honey, funner isn't a word." I frown at her response as she laughed.

"Don't worry, you'll have enough fun once Hayes gets in."

My head snaps her way. She lays, and puts on her sunglasses.

"He's getting in?"

"I told him that after he's done talking to his father, he should come and join us."

"Oh."

"We'll see if he does. He's not a fan of showing his..... skin."

I stare at her completely confused.

"What?"

"You'll understand one day. It's just-"

"Hey mom, I'm leaving."

"Leaving?! You barely just got here." Abby quickly stood up.

"Julie called. Her dad just died" he says nonchalantly.

"Oh my God. Send her my condolences. Tell her if she needs anything.. a place to be or anything she can come here or-"

"Thank you. But she'll be fine."

He places a kiss on Abby's cheek.

And walks away. Not even a glance my way.

I feel uncomfortable again as I see him with a olive green, long sleeve, button up.

We both watch him disappear into the house.

"What am I going to do with that boy..."

She shakes her head.

"He seems... nice." I let out causing a small laugh to slip her lips.

"Nice? He's a complete gentleman, but, I'm just afraid for him. He builds these walls. Doesn't like to let people in. Julie and him have been dating for a year. Lux, a whole year and I've never met her. I've only seen pictures because Zack has came and showed me them from her instagram, because you know. Hayes has no type of social media. Oh and in every picture he's serious. He can never smile. He always looks like life has been horrible to him but I've done nothing but the best I can but he still shuts me out. Refuses to let me know anything of his personal social life... Like did you know I had to find out from Zack that he once received a call from Julie telling him that she's afraid there's something wrong with Hayes. She said Hayes starts a argument anytime she has even gotten a glimpse at... Anyways. He can never seem to trust anyone or love enough effort to try. I'm afraid he will always be this way... I just want him to be happy." She sighs as I get out the pull and sit beside her.

"You know... I can't even remember when was the last time I saw him smile." Her voice is timid and low. Like she's scared she's going to break down crying at any moment.

I wrap my arms around her shoulders and give her a side hug, when she begins to cry.

I lean over and gently wipe her tears away.

"He'll be ok. He's still young. Whatever he's holding on to... he just needs to learn how to over come it.. so he can truly live life. I have faith that he has that strength within him to do so. Sometimes it takes a little praying from those surrounding him."

"Prayer?" She raises an eyebrow at me.

I gently let her go and wrap my arm around her waist as she wrapped her arm over my shoulder.

"Praying... it's the only thing that's been keeping me sane. I truly do believe in God. When my mom had three months to live, I prayed that God would just give me a little more time... she lived for another fifteen months. When she died. I asked God how he could do that to me. I yelled, cried, and screamed out to him as to why he could do that to me and thats the way I fell asleep. I had a dream I was sitting with my feet in the sand, watching as the water and came and went from my feet and there was a voice behind me. It said 'you're asking me, how could I have taken your mom out of her pain, misery, and worry, and placed her in eternal peace.. with me in heaven?' That's all I heard and I woke up. Sometimes thing happen and at the moment. We can't see, know, or even come close to comprehending why they happen... but it will only be a push towards your purpose. A test to know if you're truly worthy of whats yet to come.... because after every storm, there's a rainbow." I lay my head on her shoulder.

"How did we ever get so lucky to have such a young, pure, honest, strong girl. I love you so much Lux. I'm so happy I have you here with me."