The Funeral

I spend a lot of time in the Garden behind my house, thinking about life. I was in the Garden when I found out both my parents had died in an tragic car accident. My mother loved the garden, after all she named me Magnolia Delphine LaBlanc after the white magnolia flowers that grew in our backyard. she used to tell me that the mausoleum in our Garden had secrets in it and that the magnolias climbing up the side of it protects the secrets from coming out. My father used to play tea party with me, he would make some of his famous southern sweet tea and we used to pretend that we were the king and queen of Mardi Gras in the garden.

The garden holds a dear spot in my heart, maybe the reason being that I have never been out of the gates to my house to explore other wonders. my mama used to say "The worlds to dangerous for such a gorgeous girl like yourself, trust me, mama wants to protect you from all the evils." Maybe she was right, the world is dangerous.

"Come on my baby." My Nana says standing at the door. "come on in side this here house, so these people can say there condolences to you."

my nana was like my nanny, she took care of me when my parents were away on business trips, which was often. The saddest thing was these were people that I should call family, that I have never met a day in my life. I just needed time to think for myself before I faced them. I mean what do I say, the only people that I have known my whole life have just died. I slowly started to make my way out of the garden, as I'm walking I see flashes of memories that were made here. As I approach the door I feel a weakness in my knees and a burst of tears streaming down my face, without stoping I run straight up the stairs to my room and shut the door behind me. I laid on my bed, curled up, and closed my eyes; what felt like an hour turned into a couple of days. Every now and then I felt the light peak through my window and I would feel the presents of my parents in the house.

"Your Mawma has arrived, maybe you could come downstairs and greet her." Nana suggested while patting my back. "She seems really excited to meet you Maggie and she looks just like your mother." She said with hopes that I would pop my head out of the pillows.

"Now magnolia if you decide to get up, maybe you should take a shower." she said walking out of my room and shutting the door behind her.

I was listening to Nana and she was right I should meet my grandmother, after all she is My guardian now.