Chapter 02: Retribution

As the transport shuttle pulled away from the station, an oppressive silence lingered in the passenger compartment. The transmission of the insect Representative being attacked and killed by the creature had been Danvers' parting gift to them. Virkine was the first break the silence.

"What are you planning to do?" she asked the group.

"We all agreed to pay," responded the human Tolen. He didn't look in her direction. Instead, he kept his gaze on the faceless helmet he held in his gloved hands, turning it slightly as if inspecting its surface for flaws. "What else is there to do?"

"Before this discussion goes further," cautioned a mechanically generated voice from the Hestelen life support tank carried by the Caretaker, "we should be certain no listening devices are present. Should our opinions be unfavorable, it might prove disastrous for our respective planets and peoples."

"Well said," praised the gorilla-like Mavos. He pulled a square box from his belt and pressed a large thumb to the center panel on top. The cube reshaped, points realigning while glowing circuit pathways temporarily lit up across the surface. When the change was complete, the cube had become a pyramid. "This will prevent the words spoken from going beyond ourselves."

"You can't give in to Danvers," Virkine declared. "He's already demanding significant sums from the treasuries of our worlds. What happens when he starts making greater demands? Sooner or later, nothing we give him will be enough, and he'll release the creature anyway."

"What do you suggest?" Tolen asked without looking away from the inspection of his helmet.

"I intend to fight," Virkine stated firmly. "I only agreed to pay because I knew Danvers was listening. He would've tried to kill us if he thought we intended to refuse. You saw what he did to the Representative when he said no."

"How exactly do you intend to fight an unkillable monster?" Tolen asked, setting his helmet on the seat beside him and looking at Virkine for the first time since seeing the holotransmission.

"It has a weakness," Virkine stated coolly. "It resides on a station made of metal alloys susceptible to any number of weapons. How will the creature be a threat floating in the void of space?"

"An interesting idea," the Hestelen commented. "However, it stands to reason a variation of the nanotech Danvers is using to keep the creature alive could also be deployed to rebuild damaged sections of the station, making it impervious to attack."

"Even if we can't destroy the station by a direct attack, we can engage its drive systems to push it into the nearest star," Virkine countered. "The nanotech can't repair or build if everything melts at the same moment."

"It's unlikely the nanotech would be in use," Mavos countered. "In a biologic form such as the creature, veins and arteries allow the machines to travel through the body and reach points of damage for repairs. An entire network of conduits and tubes would be required for the nanites to reach damaged sections of the station. Before they could arrive and begin repairs, further damage would be done. They won't have the speed necessary to aid in the station's defense."

"Assuming we could damage the station at all, the number of weapons it supports still pose a significant threat to any attacking force," Tolen warned. "Even lacking regeneration, it would require a sizable fleet to take down such a station."

"The insects of Chalos will no doubt join me in the struggle," Virkine assured them.

"How do you know?" questioned the grey-skinned giant named Ror-ej. No hostility existed in his voice; it was simply a request for information.

"The Mother Hives do not bend to intimidation," Virkine answered. "Although peaceful, they have but one response to threats against their world, the total elimination of the aggressor. The killing of their Representative will be seen as an act of war. They will fight to victory or extinction."

"Extinction may well be their fate," the Hestelen put forward.

"Not necessarily," Virkine countered.

"The station was designed to repel exactly the kind of attack you intend to launch against it," the Hestelen argued, its gelatinous form turning an intense shade of green. "It is an easier thing to consider death and destruction when it is only your species in jeopardy. It's another thing entirely when your allies may suffer the same fate because of association."

The Caretaker didn't respond with words, but he tightened the grip on the support unit held in his long fingers. The five orb eyes, barely visible through the blue-green atmosphere inside its helmet, stared unwavering toward the Hestelen while the Caretaker snapped its beak in a pair of soft clicks.

"The decision must be made by each world and their people," the Hestelen stated. Its shade shifted to a pale orange. "There is technology on my world capable of reaching your respective planets with our message."

"Are we sure Danvers couldn't intercept the message?" Tolen asked. "It would mean certain death if he heard about our plans beforehand."

"Our communication system allows for the message to arrive without transit across space," the Hestelen told him. "It simply appears at the destination. Danvers cannot intercept it."

"I know my people will partake in the assault," Virkine stated firmly. "Are there any others?"

"My people will require convincing," Mavos stated. "We haven't had a standing military in ages, so casualties among our forces may be higher than those of other races."

"We'll cover you," Tolen promised. "We humans have been fighting for survival and freedom for as far back as our history goes. We aren't about to be a doormat for a weapons dealer and his pet monster."

"What about you, Ror-ej?" Virkine prompted the giant.

"We have no ships to offer," Ror-ej told her. "The migrant tribes make use of transports at the trading posts when the occasional off-world travel is required. We do have portable shielding technology we use to protect our camps from desert predators. If we agree to assist, we could offer the shields to better protect your ships."

"I suggest we contact the insects of Chalos first," Virkine suggested. "They will undoubtedly be mobilizing for war already."

"I'll have the pilot alter course," the Hestelen responded. The Caretaker stood from the padded seat of the transport shuttle and carried the support unit forward toward the cockpit.

Virkine leaned back in her seat, crossing her arms in satisfaction.