Chapter 4

For a person who's sister was fighting a battle with life, he looked shockingly quiet. If it had been any other person, then they might have thought that he was not feeling anything for his sister. But being a doctor furthermore having some involvement with the field of a psychiatrist, I could see all little subtleties in his conduct. Similar to how he would continue tapping his left foot, or how he kept on playing with his fingers - a clear sign of restless - but most importantly, that hidden sadness and fear behind his eyes which for a reason only I could see. One of my teachers in university was a psychologist, and in his guidance, I learned a lot about human emotions.

Sam snapped his fingers in front of my eyes to gain my attention. "Hey, back to Earth."

I put an awkward and forced smile on. "Sorry." I had not even realized he had asked me something because I had been so deep in thought about him.

He stared at me for a few moments, waiting for an answer that I could not give because I was not even sure what the question was.

"Explain..." was all he said. I sat up straighter,

"Right," I said, bobbing my head,

"Well, it all started..." I began to explain all the events of the night before. All he did was listen to me carefully, and with full attention. He never interrupted me, only sat and listened as I spoke.

I glanced at Sam after telling him everything. He stared into space, leaning on his elbows rested on his knees and has his fists tucked under his chin. He had such sharp features, which made him look older than his actual age, which made me wonder how old is he?

There were few freckles under his eye, but they were so light that a naked eye couldn't see through it without a closer look. I felt my heart sink as a lone tear falls from his left eye, he quickly wiped it as he didn't want anyone to see it, but I did. Just when I was going to console him, he suddenly stood up, leaving my hand hanging in mid-air,

"Thanks for bringing her here," He said in an emotionless voice with a curt nod. I gaped at foolishly.

He was about to leave just then Tom appeared in front of him with a phone pointing towards me,

"Tess, your mom," he said with a sympathetic look.

Sam looked at me confusingly as he saw the look of horror on my face. Sam's lips twitched a little like he is holding his smile.

How the hell did I forget?

My mom, Suzy Williams, is the sweetest person in the world, but when she's angry and upset, no one would want to face her.

I very slowly took the cell phone from him and neared it to my ears. Before I could even mutter a word, it's as if my mother knew I had been on the other line already. She began screaming into my ear.

"TESSA GRACE WILLIAMS, why are you not answering your phone?" I quickly pulled myself away from the phone before I become deaf.

"Mom, calm down listen to-" she cut me off angrily,

"No, Tessa, you listen to me. Do you have ANY idea how worried your father and I have been all night?" She asked, "We have been calling you constantly, but every time it goes straight to voice mail!"

I took out my phone from my back pocket and found it dead. I unconsciously hit my forehead with it,

"What cat got your tongue?" She asked. My mother can be so sassy sometimes.

I hate to say it but, so am I, and she's to blame.

"I am so sorry, mom," I started, "We were all in such a hurry that it completely slipped my mind," I said, hitting my head with my phone again, just for good measure.