14.

Once we had all settled on the comfy, leather sofa and forgot about the embarrassing misunderstanding, we were ready to discuss the details. Hugo tried mocking me for the previous events, but Mr Torres made it very clear that he wasn't in the mood for jokes today - not that he ever was, anyway - so at last, his business partner gave up and remained quiet.

"Alright," I started, taking a sip of the sparkling water that my dear employer provided me with. "Can you get me a piece of paper and a pen?"

Mr Torres was as chatty as ever, so without so much as a 'Here you go' or 'Sure thing' he gave me what I had asked for and plopped himself on the sofa beside me.

"Why do you need that," Hugo asked, nodding towards the paper on which I already started scribbling.

"To write down important things, of course," I said. I mean seriously, what else would I need a piece of paper and a pen for?

He chuckled, causing me to look up at his amused expression. "Who still does that," he asked, making it obvious that he thought I was nuts.

"I do," I said curtly, giving him a death glare. "Besides, why do you care? If I want to take notes I can take notes all I want."

He held up his hands in surrender, still chuckling. "Suit yourself."

Shifting my gaze onto Mr Torres, I crossed my legs. "So, why am I supposed to pretend to be his girlfriend and not yours," I asked, genuinely curious.

"It's simple," he said, leaning forward with his elbows over his knees. He was looking at me sideways. "I've never been seen with a woman in public, it would be suspicious."

My eyebrows arched as I stared at him in disbelief. "Never," I asked incredulously.

Instead of replying, he simply shook his head.

"Wow, people will start guessimg you're gay," I chuckled.

To be honest, as much as I hate to admit it, he's an attractive man. I expected him to be a ladies man, known for his lecherous ways, and here he was, admitting that he's never taken a woman out in public. I was genuinely shocked. Then again, what did I expect from a person so cold and restrained as him? He probably never found any woman worthy enough to show her to the world. Damn, he probably never even loved anyone.

The corner of Mr Torres lips quirked. It was only for a millisecond, but I've noticed it anyway. It wasn't a smile. It wasn't even half a smile, and still it was there. It seemed...ironic?

"Well, are you," I cought myself asking before I managed to stop myself.

Damn my imprudent, unfiltered mouth.

We just stared at each other for a few moments, before he finally said: "I can think of a few ways to show you how 'gay' I am but I'm guessing each one would be considered utterly inappropriate."

My jaw dropped open.

Did Mr Stony Expressionless Torres just make a joke? No, I must've heard wrong.

I made a mental note to cleanse my ears. They must be pretty stuffed with vax, preventing me from hearing things straight.

A low chuckle escaped Hugo's throat as he stared between Mr Torres and I in disbelief. Maybe I haven't been mistaken and my ears didn't need cleansing after all. I'm guessing Mr Torres' witty remarks were as often as sunny days in London, leaving his business partner utterly shocked. Well, it was a sunny day today so I'm guessing it was the day for miracles.

"You guys are adorable," Hugo commented childishly, causing both Mr Torres and I to give him an 'Is everything alright with your head' look.

"Behave, Hugo," my employer warned curtly.