[Chapter 4]

Tuesday, May 12

So Outdoor Class was today. We all gathered around the Pledge Stone. A Vientown Ranger named Crawford came in to teach the class. "I thought up 37 questions to ask the Ranger," Keith said proudly, holding up a list of said questions.

Rhythmi crossed her arms. "Keith. Really."

"Everybody shut up!" the Ranger yelled. He had a puffy brown afro, the official Ranger uniform, and a mischevious grin that rivaled Keith's.

"Students, this is Crawford," Ms. April explained. "He's a Pokemon Ranger from Vientown."

"Hey," Crawford said. "I'm Crawford."

"Yeah, we noticed," Rhythmi muttered.

Crawford performed his Ranger pose for us. He laughed, tossed his Styler in the air, caught it, and pointed it at the sky. "Class, this is a Ranger pose," Ms. April explained. "You should each develop your own. Now, does anyone have any questions for the Ranger?"

Keith's hand shot up. "I do! Question one: what Pokemon is the hardest to capture?"

"Hmm..." Crawford paused to think. "I'd say Beedrill because it keeps flying around everywhere."

Keith glanced back at his list. "Okay, question two: how-"

"Keith, one question each, please," Ms. April said.

Keith shut his mouth and put his arms back at his sides, clearly disappointed.

Rhythmi raised her hand. “Ranger, do you think I’ll be a good Operator?”

Crawford looked carefully at her. “Well, I don’t really know you as a person. But sure! I think you’ll make a great Operator.” He flashed a grin, and Rhythmi swooned. Keith and I looked at her, then looked at each other. We locked eyes for a second, then Keith crossed his eyes and stuck out his tongue. I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing.

Crawford went around the semicircle of students arranged around him. Each asked a relatively stupid question. Then he came to me. “Do you have a question?”

I didn’t have one ready, so I thought about it for a moment. Then I came up with the question I knew I wanted to ask. “Is it fun being a Ranger?”

He smiled a genuine smile. “Hell yes. It’s the best job ever.”

Suddenly, his Styler made a noise. Crawford pushed a button and a gruff voice came out of it. “Voicemail! Voicemail!”

Crawford held his Styler up to his face and spoke into it. “Yeah, Barlow?”

“A Mantine is in trouble in Puel Sea. We’re sending a boat to the Ranger School to pick you up and bring you out.”

“Got it.” Crawford pushed the button again and clipped his Styler back to his belt. “Well, students, I’m very sorry, but I’m going to have to cut this Outdoor Class short.” A motor boat pulled up to the school’s dock and Crawford ran off towards it. “Good luck, everyone!”

“Wow,” someone said. “A real Mission!”

“Alright, everyone,” Ms. April said. “Let’s go back to class.” Everyone followed her up the stairs, except Keith and Rhythmi. I hung back with them to see what they were up to.

“I’ve still got 36 unanswered questions, but I think I’m going to answer them myself,” Keith declared.

“And I’m going to be the best Operator I can be!” Rhythmi added. “What about you, Kellyn?”

“Hmm…” I thought about it for a few seconds. “I’ll do whatever it takes to keep people and Pokemon safe.”

Rhythmi glanced over to the Pledge Stone. “We should make a pledge,” she suggested, putting her right arm out in front of her.