Chapter 9

Raina took one long drag of her water back on the on-call room. The beeps of the machines, the cries of the children, and the moans of the sick caused her anxiety. She counted the seconds for her pill to take effect, and her heart beat even faster. Isaac had been right, this wasn't healthy – she really needed to get a new job, really.

"I can't believe you're going!" One of the nurses had cried, as she delivered the news to her staff "What are we going to do without you here?"

Everyone seemed surprised for her leaving, which made her believe she was better at hiding her feelings than she thought. They were also all very surprised and shocked to know she was turning into investigation in the private sector. They were not surprised, however, when they understood she was going to work at her boyfriend's company.

News had broken out that Isaac Malik had a girlfriend and the gossip world caught fire. He was one of the most eligible bachelors in the country, if not the world, and a lot of people were questioning why he had gone for a simpleton like her. It hurt, to be honest, it was nerve-racking and her anxiety was out of control the past week. After that news was spread, people started looking at her funny, like they either envied her or judged her for that.

The irony of the situation didn't surprise her. The fact that the best way to protect her and her reputation was by showing her to the whole world, put her name out there and have her torn apart by the media sharks.

Isaac had simply told her that they could all fuck themselves, they were jealous and she shouldn't let other people's opinion dictate her choices. She agreed, but he wasn't the one having to work with those people for another full week, with long hours in a stressful environment, was he? No sir, he was sitting in his massive modern office overlooking LA, with all the amazingly nice and smart people he worked with, with his morning free coffee fruit and muffin – how she hated how perfect everything had looked when she had visited his headquarters earlier in the week.

Everyone had been so welcoming and nice, helpful and supportive. He had the nerve to show her the office she would be taking and it overlooked the beach... Her future assistant was so nice, so witty and funny, and he was so competent as well. The team was young, very young, and they were all so excitable and excited to work with her. Isaac had topped the tour with the revelation that she would have a company car, a laptop, a phone and a credit card, she would travel and she would have great health insurance.

How could she say no to all of that? She would have to be crazy to say no! She could actually see herself there, in that big office with those incredibly talented people and develop amazing gadgets for her former colleagues. She could actually make a difference, make decisions and everything!

"Dr. Turner, just the woman in my mind!" Isaac's deep voice greeted as she called him before going back to work.

"I'm panicking." She admitted, "I'm having a panic attack I think."

"Where are you?" He didn't waste a second.

"On-call room. Took medication and am currently trying to breathe" She admitted, sitting down in one of the beds again.

"Only two more days to go." He reminded her gently "You can do this. One more day and we're off to the other side of the world, we'll be having couple massages on the beach, ridiculously expensive cocktails, and sex on the hot tub."

"That sounds like paradise..." She chuckled, instantly feeling better "I finish at eight tomorrow. Do you want to have dinner? My treat."

"Tell you what, I'll pick you up and we can cook together at my place. Deal?" He invited and Raina felt the panic crawl back for a whole new reason.