C h a p t e r 6

Whoever says an orgasm is the best feeling in the world never pocketed over two grand in twenties and fifties from an arrogant dolt like Hero Tiffin.

Honestly, it didn't have to be a million dollar win, it's still one to none for me while the sulking frame of a hunch shouldered Brit stomps in the opposite direction. He spares an involuntary glance I return in the form on a smug wink and air kiss. Who is this girl?

Hero's  P O V

Three months was spent on the concoction of that theft. Three, lousy, months with jack shit to show for it. "Here comes Zorro—hey, Hero! What's it like to have a name that couldn't be more opposite than your persona?"

I dodge his swing, narrow missing the rear end of a billiard stick, wielded by an expert player who lands three final stripe balls and the final eighth in one effortless stroke. The other, a stock built biker, begrudgingly slaps two fifty dollar bills onto the green felt of the well worn table wearing a snarl so intimidating I thought the other, a scrawny blonde, must be shitting himself right now.

JJ exaggerates a fake gasp when I flip him off after he finishes speaking. "That hurts bro, y'know, I still got feelings." He holds a flat hand over the wrong side of his chest, fingers bedazzled in various rings of different sizes and shapes, the jewels glinting in the iridescent pub light. "You do? Since when? Why wasn't I notified?" I reply sourly, making no effort to display an air of false sarcasm.

"Hardy-har-har," The half full beer bottle within his grasp waves in haphazard patterns according to his disorderly actions, "you think you hate me now, wait till you hear what I have to say." The lighthearted tone of his words weighed heavier with each word until a serious expression registers in his usually relaxed features.

"What now?" Losing my balaclava during the robbery might've been the topping on the disastrous events that unfolded that night but now, thousands of unfortunate scenarios involving imminent capture of our assailants swarm my mind unwillingly. They've been caught. That's it. So much for coordinated attacks and well deserved revenge.

Answering the silent pleas I urge using my eyes and thin lined mouth, he combs temple length bangs, exhaling a long compressed breath. "Leather Tuscadero is threatening my girl if we don't pay him five thousand by her birthday." God, I dread that despicable bitch.

This would be when I'd crack a joke about commitment or the cops failing their job miserably, but at the sight of his trembling bottom lip and white knuckle fists I didn't have the heart to. "That's two months away, how the hell are we supposed to do that? What was her exact threat? She didn't threaten her life did—"

"No! God no, but do you remember the number she did on Kiersley when she refused to pay the three thousand Tuscadero set?" All the compiled memories fighting for dominance within my mind and none of them could overpower those traumatic images imprinted in my cerebrum.

Something about viewing such a bruised, frail human who had so many bones broken by a metal baseball bat they couldn't identify her. That shit leaves a lasting impression. "Just the same old, hit 'em where it hurts, y'know." He sniffs, covering the sound by clearing his throat and downing the rest of his bottle.

"Listen man, I'll help you in any way I can, but I can barely keep a mould covered roof over my head, let alone spare you five thousand dollars."

"I know man, I'm not asking you to. I already have a grand stashed away but I've got a criminal record, you know how it is, no ones willing to give you a chance." I've never seen JJ in such a weakened state.

Don't get me wrong, physically he maintains a healthy athletic form but anything remotely related to his sister triggers those delicate floodgates full throttle.

"I just wish there was maybe a quick and easy way, I dunno," He pops open another bottle top in an ints, quick to relish in alcoholic goodness, "maybe we can do another job or I can scheme my way out of it, I have no idea."

It almost hurt to see how delicate JJ is since Tuscadero's threat. Everyone knows not to mess with her gang, I know best of all come to think of it.

That's when it struck me, "I won't make any promises, but I might be able to get back my share from our last job." A slither of hope inflates his hunchback posture, bloodshot eyes bearing into mine. "Are you sure? I mean, you don't have to, I'll find a way—"

"Shut you gin Jay, I said I'll help, deal with it." He smiles in relief, returning to the familiar JJ I never thought I'd miss. All the while we toasted to "My quick thinking" I fought to contain my scowl, vividly recalling the cocky attitude of a blackmailing Bryce Chester.

She doesn't know it yet, but the moment she slips up, that cash is mine.

"Cheers."