Chapter 1

Ok so this is my first story so please feel free to help me out. Advice would be much excepted!

My name is Elena Foster. I am 147 years old. But guess what, you would never be able to tell. Back in 1783, my family was one of the richest families in the whole town. It was almost my 16th birthday, mother and I went down to the local seamstress. Mother wanted me to be all dolled up for my coming-out party. The dress I had decided to get was a strapless full length, light blue gown with sparkles on the top of the gown.

~~~

"Elena dear, did you need a corset to go with the dress?" The seamstress was looking at me like she had no idea if I could understand her. Glancing out the glass window, I was wishing that my 16th birthday would just come and go already. Most girls my age are already looking for husbands or already married by now.

"Yes ma'am, that would be lovely." I turned my head to look back out the window, I started to think about all the things mother has to do. Being a house-wife isn't what anyone wants but it's what we have to do. I saw myself free to do whatever I wanted. I saw myself riding around town managing my own life. Getting married is going to change all of that. If I could put off getting married I would, but its what mother wants me to do so I have to do it. We paid for my dress and my corset and left the seamstress to her other duties. The whole way back to the farm, yes we live on a farm. We may be one of the richest families but that doesn't mean we have to live in a mansion. Well anyways, on the way back to the farm, mother didn't say a word to me. I only had one question. What was going through her head?

~~~

After doing all of my chores I decided to go to bed early. Going to the seamstress took a lot out of me. I was in my room changing into my night gown when I heard father talking to someone, something about a son, I think? I just ignored it and went to lay in my bed. I realized that I'm going to have to be wed sooner than I thought to a complete stranger. I hate arranged marriages. We should be able to marry who we want and not because of money but because of love. Love should be the reason not just to connect the money between the families. I could completely hate my husband and could do absolutely nothing about it. I could also end up liking him but who knows. Faking feelings isn't right. I thought about this until it put me to sleep.

~~~

Today is the day of my coming-out party. To say I'm scared would be an underestimate. I feel sick. Like terribly sick to my stomach from my nerves.

"Elena can you come out here dear. We need to talk to you about something. It's important," I could hear father yell to me. Not responding to my father I walked into the kitchen to see mother and father sitting at the table with a young man who looked like he was 19, and a much older man I have seen around town.

"Elena dear, please sit," mother said to me like nothing was going on. The only seat was next to the strange younger man who seemed to be staring at me like he was trying to read me. the two chairs were so close together.

"What's going on?" I say looking at mother and father as if they are the only two people in the room who are worth talking to. I walked over next to where my dad was sitting and stood next to him. In all truth I didn't want to sit next the the man who was staring at me. If it wasn't rude and if I wouldn't get yelled at I would have slapped him and asked him what he was staring at. Every nerve in my body was fire. Did anyone tell him it is impolite to stare? "What's going on?'' I repeated still trying to ignore them all. Father looked over to the older gentleman as the gentlemen looked over the the strange man who I was starting to believe was the gentleman's son.

"The day has come, and I've realized that it is time for you to grow up. Ed here has agreed for you and his son, Noah, to be wed," Father just look at me like he was expecting me to say something. Was he serious? Did he know how much I hated him right now? He better be joking. How could mother allow this! I don't know what to say so I just stood there in silence. He wants me to marry a complete stranger. Is he out of his mind! I can't marry him!