Chapter 6

I couldn't stop the pulse of laughter that reverberated through my chest. This was evidently unexpected to Nathaniel because his scrutiny of my reactions quickly turned perplexed.

"This is absolutely ridiculous," my laughing fit died down from the lack of his own. "You must be joking."

"I don't understand what you find comical in all of this," his unamused tone persisted and a frown started to deepen.

"How on earth did you hear of Fraenome?" I was honestly surprised that old myths and stories existed in this clinical world.

"I explained that my grandfather researched it-," he halted shortly lost in thought, "but you seem to already know about it."

There was a weariness in his accusation but I automatically became defensive. "If you mean that I was told that this same magical metal is capable of growing from the ground, then yes you may call me insightful beyond compare."

I found this whole conversation completely absurd for even encouraging the existence of a clearly fabricated resource.

His eyes reduced to slits. "Grow from the ground? What are you talking about?" It seemed as if he was dumbfounded by his own lies.

I took the initiative to clarify, fed up by this immature discussion. "Fraenome is a metal that was made up in a bedtime story that was passed down generations in my family. It's completely fictional, so I'm quite shocked that this was the pathetic reason why you took it upon yourself to take me in!" I started to stand exasperatedly. "Please tell Mr Guzman to pick me up, I've had enough of this farce."

"Sit down."

The menace in his voice was pronounced yet this didn't affect me, I remained standing. How could I have been foolish enough to enter his home wholeheartedly? To trust an apparent mad-man from the streets and put my safe-being in his hands? Out of sheer courtesy, I turned to hear him out though I refused to sit back down. I looked at him expectantly, deliberately showing the annoyance on my face.

"I don't know what kind of stories or lies were fed to you and quite frankly, I don't care. The Fraenome metal could be very much real and that ring has the potential to testify to that. So before you create your childish tantrum, let me try and prove it to myself regardless if you've lost all of your interest."

"And why should I even consider assisting your futile aims?"

"Last time I checked, you have been leeching off of my utilities for the past two weeks," he challenged which earned him a scowl.

"You were the one who invited me into your home in the first place!" However his penetrating glower didn't falter.

It was in this moment that I discovered his plots which successfully landed me in a situation that left me with no choice. My mouth gaped in astonishment as I tried to grasp for some power. "Blackmail won't work."

"Hilarious how it works right now." He forcefully grinned.

Impatient to avoid hearing my retort, Nathaniel turned towards an intercom on a wall to casually tap at it. After a buzz, he talked into it. "Bring me Owen." And it talked back at him.

"Of course, Mr Lyon."

I overtly judged his relaxed demeanour in shock from how easy it was to trap me into submission. Disappointment also weaved through my shock on my behalf that I couldn't come up with any material or courage to contest him with, so I dropped the matter with annoyed and much hesitation.

I also figured that I'd be forced to wait momentarily along with him so I took the opportunity to inquire about this 'Lyon' name as my paranoia grew the more I heard it.