Chapter One

You'd think that every kid would be ecstatic at the beginning of summer. Ready to stay up late, hang with their friends, and just have fun. But not for me.

No, at the beginning of the summer of 09 I was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer.

---

FLASHBACK

---

I was going into sixth grade at the time, and I remember walking to my bike, trying to unlock it from the rack when I passed out. Right there, just lying on the concrete. The last thing I remember we're the gasps of surrounding students, then darkness.

I woke up in a hospital bed with my mother at my side. I'm sure my father would've been there if he wasn't dead, but that's a whole other story. I looked over to see my mum weeping, head in her hands and rocking back and forth. She kept saying, "Why? Why? Why?", in between sobs. I stifled out a word. "Mum."

She looked up with puffy eyes and I remember how she took my head and kissed it. Her mascara was dripping and she had a look of grief to her.

"Oh, baby girl. I-I'm so, so sorry. I failed you." She said. "I'm so sor.." As she was finishing the word my doctor came in.

"Uh..." There was a pause as he checked his clipboard. "Stella Montgomery?"

"Yessir." I said.

"Hello, Stella. I'm Dr. Jeffreys and I'll be your main doctor during your stay here." I remember my confusion. How I wondered- why am I here? What happened? Little did I know I was here for one reason, I had cancer. "I hate to tell you this but, you have a very rare type of cancer."

"...........I........Wha.....how.....when........I...I... Don't understand." I stuttered.

"Well, I'm afraid you have cancer. You passed out this afternoon because your body failed out of the heat it was impacted with." He paused. "We did some testing while you were unconscious and found cancer in multiple regions of your body. We're terribly sorry."

"Oh." was all I could manage. I still relive the feeling that passed over me at that moment, unable to tell what it really was. I was so young then and hopeful but now I realize what it meant for me and my mother...

Now being fifteen and in tenth grade in high school I know how lucky I am surviving this long.

---

END OF FLASH BACK

---

Present Day

---

I woke up and brushed my hair, the tangled mess sitting upon my head. After the five minute brushing session I grabbed the outfit I picked from last night, which was sitting on my desk. Heading into the bathroom, I turned on the lights and looked at myself in the mirror. My pink and yellow fuzzy pajamas bottoms and pink tank top were starting to look super ratchet. I've had them since eighth grade- I haven't really grown much. Only up, not out. Which is a good thing because in fifth grade and years before that I was pretty plump. Now I'm tall and lean.

I set my clothes on the counter of my bathroom and undressed. Ready to get in the shower I got in and turned the water all the way up to hot. I preferred this type of shower because I feel more clean afterwards. And not just from the outside, but the inside too.

---

After finishing my steamy shower I stepped out onto the bath mat and dryers off. I wrapped a towel around myself and blow dried my hair. A few minutes later I was done and I started to get dressed. Last night I had picked out my navy skinny jeans a white oversized sweater and my white converse. I applied my usual makeup- Mascara and lip gloss. Nothing special.

I swung back into my bedroom to grab my backpack and went downstairs. After grabbing a frozen waffle I ran out the door to wait for my ride.