15

≠ The Surrenders ≠

<< "they shouldn't live" >>

£•£

We rode to the Hilltop to get ready for this war. They planned to go to the Sanctuary. The blacksmiths provided us with metal and we atttached the to the windows of the cars to keep them safe when they fired. That was what had been happenig for the past couple of days. Maggie and I also stopped by Glenn's grave every chance we got.

I insisted on going with them, but Maggie told me to stay because not only to keep me safe, but to watch the Hilltop and some of its people while they were gone. With Gregory gone somewhere, and Maggie and Jesus with the war, there's no one to watch over the people who didn't come along to start this war.

Maggie wanted me to work on the gardens, something I know how to do since Rick and Hershel taught me in the prison. As I worked, a woman came by, kneeling down to the ground to help me.

"Aliyah, right?" she asked.

"Yeah," I looked at her. She had blonde hair, hazel eyes, and wore a gray shirt and baggy pants.

"Hi. I was just stopping by to talk about what Hilltop will become. Without Gregory and Jesus and Maggie, we've no one to look up to so...are you going to lead us? Because you'd do a fine job of that," she asked.

"That's flattering, but no, I don't think I can," I told her.

"Why are you here then? Why aren't you out there?"

"Maggie wants me to be safe and she asked for me to stay here to...watch everyone," I trailed off beginning to think why she asked me if I was going to lead. "Still, no. Jesus and Maggie'll come back. Gregory won't be in charge, and one of them will lead."

We finished the garden and I walked into Gregory's study. I would have like to visit Alexandria to see Carl...and Michonne, Judith, but I had a job to do and that was to stay here.

Rick and others were taking out one of the outposts, killing the Saviors letting them turn to kill the rest that lived while him and Daryl searched for guns. The Kingdom and Carol were taking out other outposts.

I was standing at the guard post, seeing the road going miles out. A car approached and I held up a riffle as Kal did. As of now, I rarely use my bow since guns are a lot more useful in this war. Someone pulled their head out of the window. Carl. What are you doing here? I told Kal it was okay to open the gate. I climbed down from the platform and the gate opened, letting him pass through.

"What are you doing here, Carl? You're supposed to be at Alexandria," I told him.

"Yeah, but I felt like I needed to stop by. I'll be gone before Michonne worried about me and maybe you can come with me back?"

"I have to stay here, watch over these people." I looked at him and told one of the men to guard the gate.

"Oh, so someone is leading these people," he teased, "I came to ask you, the leader, to hang out."

"Okay, stop it. It's just until Maggie and Jesus get back." I sat down, noticing we were at the graves. "I want so bad to take Negan out. The Saviors. But, not only must I watch these people, I feel like Glenn wouldn't want me to, even with all the bad things they've done."

"I never got to pay my respects. Glenn was a good friend, a good brother, he would have been a great father." Carl looked down at his grave. He looked down at the picture of Maggie and Glenn. "Is this the only picture?" he questioned