Past

💮Jennie's POV💮

I am an 7-year-old orphan, abandoned by my family at the age of five since they couldn't cope up with the expenses.

Life with my parents weren't as easy going, but once they left it was hell. It felt as if they cut my roots when they left me, nothing to anchor me to this world. Years passed by and many were unable to see my vulnerability, the roots I lack... all until one day when someone finally considered adopting me.

'Am I finally going to experience what it feels like to be loved, cherished and wanted?'

I was given one hour to interact with the couple who chose me. Their gentle smiles, soft shrugs and generous gaze was enough to satiate my emptiness and thirst for affection.

That surprisingly went well despite my awkwardness, I had a good feeling about this.

After a couple of days, they came back to receive me and signed a few sheets before taking me to their house.

My eyes sparkled in astonishment as we drove past the gates and entered the patio. It was a massive mansion with tall glasses stretching from top to bottom. Once the car stopped in front of the manor, I saw a boy around my age, neatly dressed standing on the porch inquisitively.

'This must be their lovely son'

Hearing them unfasten the seat belts my heartbeat's pace quickened. 'This is it'

My stepmom got out of the car and opened my door before saying "Welcome to your new home Jennie"

I peeped out of the door and took a deep breath while coming back to my previous position. With 'Lola' (My doll) held tightly between my tiny fingers, I hesitantly stepped out of the vehicle.

_____

Jungkook's POV

Well dressed, perfectly gelled hair and a toothy smile. Just yesterday it was me, my mom and my dad and now there will be a new member in our family.

My ears perked upon hearing the sound of our car driving in. On tiptoes I reached up to the window ledge, eyes wide open "They have come."

I vehemently sprinted outside the hall, excited at the arrival of our new family member.

My eyes were alight, my every muscle needed to move, to dance, to jump due to the immense excitement. I tried to get a view of the person inside the car but that seemed impossible with those tinted glasses.

"Welcome to your new home Jennie" Mom spoke as she held the rear door open.

"Jennie" that name went over and over in my head. It must be a mistake, I was expecting a brother, not a sister...

A small black buckle shoe and white socks were revealed in her first step. As she gradually came out of the car, my heart went erratic at the sight of her doll like figure.

Holding my mom's hand she walked upto me shyly "Jungkookie, this is your small sister Jennie and Jennie this is Jungkook, your big brother" my mom grinned from ear to ear pulling us closer.

From her long brown locks to her eyes that shone the colour of wet earth and a small nose freckled with brown splotches, everything about her was perfect. She smiled at me with a hint of shyness as I locked my eyes with hers and of course, I returned her one with the same feeling. I loved her already.

"Unfortunately I have to go, today we have an important meeting but don't worry Jennie, Jungkook will show you around... wont he?" My mother stressed the last sentence and shot me a playful smile.

I nodded politely and looked back at Jennie who was fidgeting with her hands behind her back. My mother ruffled my hair and informed Jennie that she'll be back by evening.

As my mom and dad drove away I stood there silently and shifted from leg to leg awkwardly, I was able to see Jennie hugging her doll to her chest while looking up at me with puppy eyes from the corner of my eyes.

"Lets go inside" i voiced after a moment of silence. The next move I made was unnecessary yet unintentional, I grasped her hand intending to guide and show her around. Having second thoughts on my avoidable gesture, before I could retreat my hand she tightly latched onto my hand which brought a small smile to my face.

After showing her around the house we seated ourselves on separate sofas, opposite to each other without uttering a single word. With feelings of anxiety, we felt pressured to speak but unsure of what to say next. This whole time I was the one who did the talking whereas she hasn't said a word. Maybe she... "Hello Jungkook, my name is Jennie and I'm seven years old" she said with a wide grin that illuminated her pure innocence.

I smiled back softly and pushed myself to sit straight "Hey Jennie, I'm nine years old which makes me two years older than you." Hearing this her puffy pink-tinted cheeks expanded as her smile grew wider displaying her gums.

After that we felt more comfortable to talk to each other. We savored the company of the other and felt that sense of peace and elevation by each other's presence.

Our conversation got interrupted by a third party "Sorry to interrupt this lovely mingling but the food is served. I have prepared varieties of dishes which I believe you guys would enjoy." our maid spoke as she led us to the dining area.

"Eat hearty!" she exclaimed pressing her palms together "Don't hesitate to let me know if you children need anything" she said with a gentle smile before leaving the room.

I turned back to Jennie who was munching on a slice of bread happily, as she munched her bread she made "mmm,mmmm,mmmm" noises and instead of getting irritated I was surprised that it almost made me grin. The crumbs made a trail down her sweater on their way to the ground and somehow this all seemed OK with me.

With crumbs around her mouth and cheeks filled with food, she threw me a hearty smile that ignited something inside my heart. Seeing her satiating her hunger was enough to make me happy. 'Maybe its not bad to have a cute sister after all'

_____

Skips to few years later

As they grew older, they gradually fell out as different, strange and unfamiliar feelings started to break out. Unexpectedly...

But what feelings exactly? What drove them apart?

Lets find out *Actually dont... *