Chapter 1

"I'm sorry. I can't just choose one of you and then leave the other one."

They all looked at each other in shock with what I told them.

"I'm sorry," I whispered with tears. "I'm sorry."

At this point, I face my back towards them and I start walking away. I can't see them but I can feel someone walking toward

me.

"Dakota. Let me walk you home."

Taehyung.

"Tae. I just dumped your hyungs. Don't you care about them?"

"Of course I care about them. But I care about you too," he said in a low, concerned voice.

"Just leave me be. I'll be fine. They need you there," I replied through my tears.

"No, you're not fine. You need me. They have Jin hyung, Hobi hyung, Jimin-ssi, and Jungkook. Please. Let me stay with you."

My head hung low as soon as he finished his sentence. As soon as he started walking toward me, I ran into his arms with my face buried into his jacket. His arms wrapped around me with one of his hands rubbing my back.

Let me tell you the history of me, Dakota, and 2 of my best friends.

Min Yoongi and Kim Namjoon.

~Introduction to me, Dakota~

I don't remember much about the first year of my life. All I remember is moving to Vancouver, Canada for God knows what my parents wanted to do in Canada after being born on April 17, 1995 in Seoul, South Korea. But we did stay there for 4 years.

"Mom, why are we moving?" I must have asked in my somewhat annoying 5 year old voice which everybody else found really cute.

"We're moving because we found better jobs in Sacramento. But when we move to Sacramento, your father and I might not be home a lot because of our job," my mom answered back.

"Then who'll take care of me?" I asked.

At this point, with the amount of Filipino dramas that I've watched at the age of 5 because of my parents, I thought that they were going to find different partners, have an affair with them, and then they end up divorcing.

That was not the case though. I just thought that they were using work as an excuse to do what I thought they were going to do.

"I know some friends who live in Sacramento who can look after you. You'll also start Kindergarten there. We've already enrolled you to the school closest to the place that we'll be staying in," my dad said.

Something that I was somewhat excited for but not really: Kindergarten. It'll be, yet again, hard for me to adjust to a new environment. Especially with school starting up soon. The only thing I was excited about was packing up my stuff and moving there.

Sacramento.

America.

New life.

~First day of Kindergarten~

"Okay, class. Please settle down," the teacher, Ms. Smith, said in a kind and gentle tone.

As we all slowly started settling down on the mat that we all sat down on, I caught someone glaring at me with a small smile. He looked away as soon as he caught me looking at him.

"To those who are in Kindergarten, I'd like to welcome you to your very first day of class. As you can see, this is not your regular Kindergarten class. This a split class with the grade 1's," Ms. Smith explain.

That part she got right: I am in a split class with some other grade. But why do I feel like I don't belong?

To my own surprise, the day went by a lot quicker than I had expected - I made new friends and played a lot at the different playing stations. Just before I left the classroom, the guy who was staring at me earlier today came up to me with another guy who seems to be his friend.

"Hey. Sorry for staring at you earlier. I'm just new to this whole idea of being in a split class. I'm Namjoon. This is my best friend, Hoseok."

"Hi!! Nice to meet you! What's your name?" he asked so energetically.

"Dakota," I said shyly with my head down.

"Hey. Don't be shy. We won't bite. We just want to be your friends," Namjoon chuckled.

"Okay. See you tomorrow then. My parents are waiting," I told them as I faced the door.

"Bye Dakota!!! See you tomorrow!!!!" Hoseok yelled at me.

Gosh. That was only the first day of Kindergarten and he's already acting as if we've known each other since the day that we were born. But they seem to be really nice.

And there's the first day of our friendship. Just the 3 of us: me, Namjoon and Hoseok. We spent the rest of elementary school together - recess, lunch, daycare.

When Namjoon and Hoseok graduated, we always tried to make time to see each other when they weren't busy.

Hoseok couldn't come at times because he got forced into a dance group that he later loved being in. So a lot of the times, it would've been just me and Namjoon meeting up. Because of this, Namjoon and I started growing closer to each other. But whenever Hoseok was not in dance practice, he would always make up for the times that he wasn't with Namjoon and I by paying for our food and drinks whenever we ate out together.

As soon I graduated from elementary school, I went to the same high school as Namjoon and Hoseok, Granada Hills Charter High School. I'm not going there solely because of Namjoon. I'm going there because I live close to it.

Here's to the rest of high school...

And maybe to my feelings for Namjoon....