Raw wood

The woods were beginning to grow dark by the time we arrived and I was not looking forward to this. Somehow, Taylor had managed to talk me into coming and I wish I had just not listened to her. I can't even remember her argument but, it must have been good to make me come.

There were two groups heading into the woods that week, my friends and some other kids from school and I didn't understand why I had to come. How was Taylor thinking she would be lonely when there were all these people? Or was there something more sinister behind her motives?

I remember when we first arrived I was a mess. My hair was in loose plaits either side of my face and the lack of makeup on me made me look like a ghost. Quite ironic really. I had driven and my feet hurt from the four hour drive to the middle of nowhere: a never-ending maze of trees and a larger group of college friends, what could go wrong? A lot of things apparently.

***

Copine's pov

My friends and I were waiting for the other group arrive when I first noticed it: a silver fox. At first I thought it was going to attack us but, it seemed quite content just watching from far away. Just as I was about to point it out to Callum, a car pulled up Infront of us and a girl stepped out. At first I didn't recognise her but, once she turned to face me I realised it was Eva Fall - one of the most popular girls.

Popularity was an odd thing at our school. There weren't any cliques or main groups but there were people you could point out as being popular and Eva was one of them. She was known for high grades, undying loyalty and absent mindedly stealing almost every boy's heart. She wasn't your average popular girl. She was kind and welcoming, one of those people you were immediately drawn to. People liked her for who she was and not her status.

I spotted her best friend Taylor stepping out of the car as well, a smug look on her face as though she had just won a verbal fight. Perhaps she had? They made their way over to us and I felt Callum tense up beside me. I had almost completely forgotten he liked Eva. Almost.
"Hey Copine, Callum. Having fun I see." Eva's voice was relaxed and I could see the relief on her eyes that she had met someone she knew.

"Hey Eva, I'm so glad you came." Callum was obviously glad that they had come - especially Eva - and I could have sworn his voice was slightly deeper than normal.

"Where the hell is everyone?"

"They will be here soon Taylor, quit whining." Eva wasn't exactly mad at Taylor but, there was something in her tone that suggested Taylor had done something to upset her.

"We're going to go unpack and set up our tent. Call us when the others arrive." Eva and Taylor walked back to their car and began to set up. Suddenly I found myself excited for the rest of the trip.