Epilogue

Robert walked into his new dorm room and looked around. It looked like his roommate was here, and had elected to take the left side of the room. He could hear someone moving in the bathroom over to his left, and decided to put his stuff down while he waited for them.

He had no idea if his roommate was a boy or girl, as the university had told him they had more students elect to stay on campus than expected, and therefore some of the overflow of students had just been randomly matched together in rooms. He was one of these.

He had managed to get into Harvard Business School, and was looking forward to the next few years of his life. He'd managed to get himself a job in a small café only a few blocks away, and another on campus for the holiday's, as a filer down in the admin area, so he knew he could afford to stay on campus. He'd put in a few shifts at both places already, and the admin area was talking about keeping him on year-round if he kept things up, assuring him they would work around his other job's hours, as long as they let him know in advance. They claimed he was the best paper pusher they had hired in years. All he had to do was go and fetch papers for them, and get coffee, and make sure, that in his spare time, everything was kept nice and tidy, while trying to put all their old records into the computer, sorted by year and last name. He thought it was simple and easy.

The café was training him up to be a barista, and a waiter for the quieter times, and he was only supposed to work there two night a week, and the late shifts on the weekends. He was learning how to help close the café down for the night, and make sure everything was ready for the following morning. He found it easy work, and better paying than the admin work at the university, and grateful for both jobs.

Robert decided to wait for his roommate and started to put his clothes in the small chest of draws at the end of his bed. Bothe sides of the room were laid out identically to the other, and they shared a bathroom. Each bed was next to the wall, and small chest of draws at the end of them, and a smaller bedside table each between the beds, and the small space under the window between the beds was taken up by a small bookshelf. His roommate had taken up the top shelf, and Robert put his books away on the bottom of the two shelves.

They had a pretty good view, being on the third floor of the building, and looking over the oval which they would have to cross to get to all of their classes. The curtain was pretty flimsy, and he wondered if they could get a better one.

Past the chest of draws at the ends of the beds, there was a small desk, big enough for a laptop and book to be open and used at the same time, with three draws running down the left side of each. There was a small space between his desk and the wall next to the front door where they had crammed another bookshelf, this one reaching all the way up the just above his head. He was happy to see it was completely empty, but knew the books sprawled across his new roommate's bed would be quickly set in there, as their side of the room held the door to the bathroom, not another bookshelf. He wondered if they would be able to label the shelves to avoid getting the books confused.

His roommate had been in the bathroom for such a long time that Robert was starting to get worried for them, when he heard them turn the door handle and opened the door.

He was busy setting his laptop and stationary up in his desk when this happened, and didn't immediately see what his new roommate looked like.

"Hey." He heard a girl say, "I guess we got a co-ed room. Personally, I'd hoped for another girl, and if you want me to leave, I'm happy to. I haven't done much unpacking." Robert stopped listening as the girl prattled on, instead whipping around to face her, looking on in jaw dropping astonishment.

The girl had her back to him, bent over her things on the bed she had claimed as hers, so she wasn't looking at him. Her long dark hair fell down her back and almost to her waist, tied up in a simple plait. She was wearing clothes that wouldn't really stand out, a pair of jeans and a red shirt, with a pair of black vans on her feet. The more he looked at her, the more he couldn't believe his eyes.

"Of course, if you want to try and make things work, I'd be quite happy to stay here." She said, standing up and turning around to look at him. "Hi I'm," she stopped, looking at him in the same astonishment he was looking at her. Her mouth fell open and she gasped. She opened and closed her mouth several times, but nothing came out.

Robert grinned, looking at her struggling for words.

"Robert?" She finally choked out, "Are you really my roommate?"

"Hey Nia." He said, the biggest grin he had felt on his face in over 18 months. "Guess you'll have to talk to me now. Looks like we're roommates for the next few years."