Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I lay on the ground moaning and groaning. The blow to my side was a big one. I'll probably get a big old bruise from it. I open my eyes and find my two older brothers crouching over me.

"What the heck happened?" Wyatt said while helping me up.

I grimace and held my side. The pain is really bad and I can't breathe. I got the wind knocked out of me for sure. I gasp for air.

"Dude, you okay?" Brant asks. "You can't die while Mom and Dad are gone."

I lift my head and glare at him. "What do you think, dip-wad," I say trying to breathe."I just got kicked!" Brant backs away a little (Wow. My older brother afraid of me. Never thought this day would come).

"You're sure you're okay, sis?" Wyatt asks clearly concerned. I nod and he pats me on the back.

I stop his hand. "Don't do that," I say, grimacing. "I think I might have cracked a few ribs."

Brant starts to laugh. I turn my head to him and I'm kinda confused why he's laughing. He settles down and starts to talk, "Think? I'm not surprised if you end up with some broken ribs. Bear's a huge horse," he says patting the horses neck.

He's right. Bear is a big horse. His mom was a champion barrel racer and his dad was a gypsy vanner and stands at  eighteen hands (That's your average six foot tall basketball player).That's a big horse. I wouldn't be surprised if I did end up with a broken rib or two.

"Think I'll be able to get back on a horse?" I ask. " 'Cause I really need to practice for the up coming horse show." Brant shakes his head a little slow. I moan and stand up straight. I climb the fence and march (more like limp) over to my horses paddock.

I lean against the fence that holds my horse Moon-Shine.

I know, not the best name. She's named after a drink; but it's a pretty name. Plus it suits her. She's pure black with a white moon crescent on her forehead. Her pelt shines when she's in the moon light when she's standing in the moon light just right.

Before I even reach her, she raises her head and nickers.

"Nice to see you too," I say climbing over the wooden fence. She walks up to me and nuzzles my hand. I laugh. "No. I didn't bring any carrots or apple slices for you this time." Moon snorts and pounds the ground with her front hoof. I stroke her neck fur which feels like black silk.

"We'll win this one, Moon.I just know it!" I say. She nickers lightly and nuzzles my face. "Sorry. Can't ride today. Bear go me." I roll up my shirt to reveal a big old bruise on my side. "Got me real good," I mumble letting it back down.

Ever since I was ten, I've always wanted to be a famous barrel racer. When I went to my first rodeo, and saw the barrel racers, I told my dad, "I want to do that."

He smiled and looked at me. "Some day you will, Bailey. Some day. "

That's where my dreams began. I got on my horse and practice everyday. For three hours straight. Or until my mom came outside and told me dinner was ready. So I'd eat and go right back to practicing.

I climb the wooden fence again and walk over to the tack room (more like a horse trailer with the horse equipment in it) and lift heavy latch to open the big door. It swings open and I step inside the sweet smelling trailer.

Other's might think that the smell of a dirty, sweaty old tack smells gross; but I think it smells quite nice. Guess it's because I have to live with it. 

I grab a long blue lead rope or lunge line, and pick up Moon-Shine's halter. I grab the whip and step back out. I push the door shut and put the latch back down. I huff before heading back over to Moon-Shine's paddock.