PROLOGUE

A/N: I know I should be working on one of my million other stories, but I've been working on this for a while and I would really like some feedback on it.  I personally haven't seen this idea before, at least in this genre, and it was begging to be written (over the course of several sleepless nights).  So, please take a look, tell me what you think, and let me know if you want more!

Pic: Gaspard Ulliel (Blaise)

-Saya

~*~

Prologue

Stars dotted the sky like pinpricks in a sheet of black paper. A light breeze played in the alleys, pushing along crumpled paper and dead leaves. The streets were crowded with ignorant people and shiny cars, unaware of the lone figure watching from above.

He crouched on the edge of the roof, one foot perched on the ledge. The wind tugged at his, long dark hair, but he ignored it. In one hand he held a cell phone, the light of which lit up his aristocratic features. The nimble fingers of his other hand played across the screen of the phone, lightly tapping the small keys.

The reply to his message came quickly and brought a scowl to his formerly blank expression. He tucked the phone into the pocket of the tight-fitting, black leather pants he wore and leaped from the roof, landing lightly on one much lower. From there he dropped to the ground in an alley, protected from the sight of passerby by the shadows.

"You're a real stick-in-th'-mud, y'know?" slurred a boy with pale skin and shaggy blond hair.

He was leaning on another boy, who recoiled from the stench of alcohol. Unlike the blond, he had olive skin and short, messy black hair. With a sigh, he pushed his friend's wandering hands away and stepping away from the wall he'd been leaning against for the last half hour.

"Well then, I'll leave you to your bottle," he replied with an edge to his voice. Normally he would have tried to hide his disgust from his roommate, seeing as he had to live with the guy. However, he figured Daniel was too drunk right now to remember details like that.

Having successfully escaped the only person who seemed to care about his presence, the scrawny boy picked his way through the milling crowd and found his way to the front door, slipping from the house that vibrated with the bass into the comparatively silent night.

Two days later, Daniel Carter began to worry about his missing roommate. Two weeks later, his teachers began to worry about the boy's empty seat. A month later, his single mother hired a private investigator to contribute to the search for her only son.

~*~

A/N2: Also, I would really appreciate if someone would make me a nicer cover...I lack both skills and materials.  Character list should be off to the side.