-1-

Was he a cat?

No, but that's what we're gonna call him.

Who was this girl?

The half-written letter hidden in your drawer.

They were always together. Forever bound by shallow whispers and crooked screams. They were best friends.

The kitty made her feel whole again.

The girl made him belong somewhere.

Although, it took quite awhile before they first met one another.

-

He had been born one quiet night. He was one kitten of a litter of five. His father was only there for his first day of life, before something went wrong.

Mother Kitty, a graceful tabby cat, turned from one kitten to another. Then, she came to him, and looked him in the eye.

He looked up at her, smiling, breathing, and with a loving look in his eyes.

For a moment, it felt like she was judging him, but soon enough, she licked his newborn head.

For a kitten, he sure was loud. Very loud.

His brothers and sisters told him to shut up countless times. He wanted to, he really did, but he couldn't.

Did his mother mind?

No.

She did not.

She just laughed, and licked his face.

Weeks go past. After 12 weeks and 5 days, it is finally time to go to his new home.

His first home.

His brothers and sisters were excited. They were ready to leave. He, however, was not. He was having anxiety. He didn't want to leave.

So he walked carefully up to his mama.

She looked curiously at him.

"Mama? Will I be safe?" he asks.

Mother Kitty licks his face. "Of course you will, my Dearest."

He feels safe. Confident. It will be okay.

His new home wasn't as safe as he thought it would have been. His owners had a child. He didn't like this child, for she was an obnoxious 2 year old toddler.

On his first day there, he sniffed this baby, for he had never met a baby before.

Suddenly, she claps her tiny hands around his tiny face. He picks up his small paws and slaps her. The baby starts crying and screaming. The baby's parents come over, and the woman starts calming the baby down, while the father just looks down at the 12 week old kitten who didn't know any better.

He looked up with his big yellow eyes, and asked, "Did I do something wrong?"

The man shakes his head disapprovingly.

He walks over to the crying baby in the woman's arms. The woman screams at him. "Bad kitty! Bad kitty!"

Alright then, you don't want my apology, so no apology is going to be given today! He had thought.

Soon enough (4 weeks), he is sold to a new home. He liked this family. This family he would stay with for a long time to come.

But he still felt like he didn't belong.

This family had named him, "Cookie," because the 6 year old had been eating a cookie the day they met.

This wasn't his final name, but it was an option. He chose to move on from it.