I

It wasn't often that the gem Homeworld attempted to colonize worlds with intelligent life. As White Diamond ran through the halls of the hastily constructed base, her black hair sticking out even more with her own speed, she wondered yet again if the Gem Empire needed to reconsider where they drew the line at intelligent. The beasts, 'Flail Legs' as the gems stationed there had taken to calling them, may not have been capable of discernible speech but they were certainly capable of strategizing enough to have overrun much of the eastern section of the base before any of the rest of the base had noticed.

"Fall Back!" White Diamond bellowed as she blew past a squad of Ruby's coming in from a patrol. "Fall back to the ship now! There's been a breach" The Ruby's panicked until her order reached the ears of one of the Agates who shoved them in the direction of the drop ship. The evacuation alarm was sounded and White Diamond kept running, her quarters and Pearl were at the back of the base. Behind her she could hear the sounds of battle and Agates barking orders. She rounded a corner and ran smack into a tall white and grey gem, the recoil knocking her to the floor.

"My Diamond! I'm sorry, so sorry" Milky Quartz 3NY said helping White Diamond to her feet. White Diamond rubbed her nose, checking that she hadn't broken it, again.

"It's fine I'm fine we need to get out of here." White Diamond said waving off the quartz, She looked and saw another Milky Quartz, 6GS staring at her worried.

"What happened."

"It's those Flail legs, they've broken through the walls, the eastern section is gone," White Diamond said, then looked around, usually there was a third with them. "Wheres 9ZQ?" She asked. 6GS and 3NY looked at each other then back at their diamond.

"She was in the Eastern section."

"Frack." White said. She looked behind her at the chaos then at the two quartzes. "Alright. I'm going to find her, you two get Pearl on the ship, don't let her wait for me, get her on the drop ship. 9ZQ and I will catch up."

"My Diamond, Me and 6GS will go, you really shouldn-" 3NY began.

"Don't tell me what to do Quartz." White diamond said reaching to her gem and drawing a long blue bladed sword from it. "I'm going to find my soldier, I'll catch up. That's an order." Both quartzes pursed their lips and nodded, then saluted her.

"Yes My Diamond!"

"Go!" She said before turning back and heading into the fray.

Where she had just been moments before was devoid of life either Gem or Flail Leg. She ran into the first of the creatures moments after she had passed the room where the Rubies had been. It was on the ceiling above her and flipped down in front of her face, snapping at her with three mouths moments before she ran it through with her sword. The creature fell with an shriek of pain and it's acidic blood ate through White Diamonds boots.

She jumped away from the body and saw that it was not alone, dozens of the creatures filled the hall, she could see the glint of gems on the floor, some of them in the creatures mouths. Dread shivered up White Diamonds spine. There was no way she could save them all. She glanced around as she backed away from the creatures. She saw openings, in the floors, in the creature's defenses and saw red jewels lying untouched for now. She couldn't save them all, but she would save what she could.

White Diamond let out battle cry from deep inside her as she ran forward, and leaped over the first line of the Flail Legs,. She drew another sword. She swung with long calculated swings to attack as many of the creatures as possible. She reached the clump of rubies ,dropped the sword in her left hand, grabbed them, and shoved them in the pocket of her coat hoping beyond hope that the gems would wait until they were back on the ship to reform. She bounced with one foot off the now empty space. Drew another sword and allowed herself to glide through the enemies cutting down all that reached for her.

She landed with a roll into the empty space in the Eastern section.

She gathered a Lapis' gem and an agates along with a hand full of assorted quartzes that weren't cracked too badly. Her pockets we're getting full but she still hadn't found 9ZQ. The Eastern section was unrecognizable. Tables and workstations overturned, bodies and shards covered the floor. And unlike the deafening tunnel of death she had just gone through it was quiet. White Diamond walked softly through the gore and shards, wincing as the monsters blood leaked into her shoe and she cut her feet on chunks of gems.

She poked her head into each room, scanning it for 9ZQ, poofed or un-poofed. She rounded one corner and saw the flash of a blade heading for her face. White Diamond sprung back into a defensive position and then relaxed when she saw a Milky Quartz with a slightly uneven bicep gem holding it.

"Oh," 9ZQ said with relief "it's you, sorry about that Domina." the quartz was holding another passel of gems in the crook of the arm that wasn't holding a push sword.

"Rather you than one of those things." White Diamonds said "Any others?"

"Nah just me, have the ships left yet?"

"I really hope not" she said turning to find an exit to the outside of the planet.

"Not that I'm not thankful" Milky Quartz said following her out a hole in the wall and into the desert that surrounded the base, "But you really shouldn't be doing this my diamond."

"Father always told me that all good leaders fight alongside their people, so that's what I'm going to do." White Diamond said, the ships were still there thank goodness, the last of the gems being loaded on, she started to jog towards the crowds.

"Uh huh, pretty sure your going to get yourself hurt if your not careful though" Milky Quartz asked keeping up with her easily. White diamond waved it off.

"Eh, wouldn't be the first time." She said before sliding into the ship's cargo bay. "Everyone out Mossy?" She asked, She handed the gems from her pocket to a nearby Peridot and nodded to 6GS and 3NY who were reuniting with their comrade.

"You and 9ZQ are the last ones my Diamond" Mossy Agate said, gesturing for the door to be closed.

"Good, Tell a Nephrite to get us into orbit while I figure out how to salvage this." White Diamond said already making for her quarters above the command center, a relieved looking Pearl following her.

Her quarters were set up a little bit different than the other diamonds, White had more needs than your average diamond. But the privacy from the rest of the ship was worth the walk. Pearl opened the door for her without White having to say anything which boded poorly. Usually they went through a whole charade of White Diamond opening the door for her when they were alone. Her suspicions were proved right when, as soon as the door closed Pearl let her guard drop.

"What in stars name do you think you were doing Domina!" Pearl shouted at her. White Diamond, Domina to those who bothered to use the name her father gave her, held up her hands in defense to the tiny pale pink Pearl.

"I had to do something we couldn't just leave 9ZQ behind!"

"She's a Quartz, it's her job, She's replaceable, Rubies are replaceable, Pearl's are replaceable," The Pearl said gesticulating wildly "Your White Diamond, Domina, You are not!" Domina rolled her eyes.

"Yes yes so you tell but you know it's not true. No one is replaceable." Domina said. Pearl gave her a world weary sigh.

"You know other Pearls don't have to deal with their owners being so reckless"

"Yeah but really." Domina said letting a smile creep onto her lips "Would you have it any other way?" Pink Pearl shook her head and hugged the 6'10" Diamond, her ovaluar belly gem bumping into the buttons on Domina's coat.

"Promise me you won't scare me like that again." she muttered.

"I'll do my best." Domina said squeezing Pearl gently.

"You better," She said pulling away, "I will see if I can find you another set of clothes that haven't been savaged by the local wildlife." Domina nodded.

"I'm going to clean up and take a nap. If any one important calls tell them I'm contemplating how best to recover from this momentary setback." Domina said removing her coat and handed it to Pearl.

"And if they're not important my diamond?" Pearl asked with a quirk of her lips.

"You have my full permission to tell them to go frack themselves."