Be Careful What You Wish For - Chapter 1

"You are looking at the bronze head of King of Akkad which is from the Old Akkadian dynasty," I pointed out to my class as I was going through my PowerPoint presentation of Mesopotamian Art

"You are looking at the bronze head of King of Akkad which is from the Old Akkadian dynasty," I pointed out to my class as I was going through my PowerPoint presentation of Mesopotamian Art. "They created this particular piece using a wax technique used during this period for sculpture." I relished the excitement of watching my students eager to learn about the history of art and how it developed our present-day world.

"Ms. Howard, tell me his technique of getting them curls in his beard? I demand to learn his method to impress the ladies," Rockie asked while raising his hand.

Rockie was one of my favorite students but also the class clown. I rolled my eyes with retorting, "Simple, Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie." As the class snickered, I noted the time and settled down the class so I could give them their assignment. "Okay, okay... before I let you guys go, let me give you all your homework that will be due in a month." After a few disappointments sighs, I proposed if I maybe I should have it due by the end of the week with the response of "NO" in unison from my class. "You guys know my motto, no shortcuts, work for it. Now, study at the picture on the screen, this is a cuneiform tablet also from the Mesopotamian period. Take a moment to look closely and examine it. I want you all to compose an essay about this tablet. In your essay, I require you to answer my following questions... what do the designs inscribe on the surface remind you of? Describe the arrangement of forms. What might they offer or suggest? What function might this object have? What visual evidence supports your claim?" Taking a break to catch my breath and grinning, "And last, don't be afraid to contact me if you have questions or if you need my help. You all have a great rest of your day."

Sitting down at my desk, I sat back sluggishly in my armchair, kicked off my flats, and closed my eyes to relax

Sitting down at my desk, I sat back sluggishly in my armchair, kicked off my flats, and closed my eyes to relax. This was my last class of today and I was ready for food and HGTV. Being a professor at Tulane University wasn't a simple job, but I cherished it. I reached down to grab my shoulder bag to gather up my materials breaking me from my short rest. As I walked up to the front of the class, I did a double check to make sure everything was off and cut off the lights as I shut the door. I despised this part of the day because I knew going down the hallway towards the exit, I would pass by his classroom. "Don't stop, don't look at him, no conversation," motivating myself as I head down the corridor but always failing. When I reached the exit, I took a peak in the window of his classroom door so I could watch him... Yahya, the love of my life.