Chapter 2

Okay first off let me just say that 31 READS WOW
Tbh I thought I wouldn't even get one.
Thanks to everyone reading these words right now.
Special thanks to @beemars for that sweet comment on the last chapter, it means the world xx

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The shriek of the siren splits the air.

Everyone in the room freezes, perfectly still.

Then utter chaos erupts.

"What could it be?!"

"I saw something on the news this morning..."

"Apparently the sickness has become deadly!"

"Everyone SHUT UP!"

Silence cloaks the classroom.

Did our lovely teacher, Miss Hart, just yell at us?

The situation is more dire than I thought.

"Everyone calm down. Principal Harkins just contacted me to say that everything is fine"- Then why does her voice crack slightly? - "And you just continue with your work. It was a false alarm."

Sure enough, the siren fades into nothingness but the atmosphere of terror it brought still remains thick.

"Okay everyone, for this activity you will be working in groups of five. No -" She death glares a kid in the front row who has already gathered his stuff to move to his friend. " I will be sorting out the groups." Everyone collectively groans.

She lists the names and people shuffle into their spots but I haven't heard my name been called.

"Brooke Adams!" Speak of the devil, that's me.

She rattles through the other four names.

Happily, I grab my stuff and twist around to my friend Fern who is in my group.

The other three people in our group are Ree (goth, no one really knows anything about her), Devon (obnoxious and frankly one biscuit short of the packet) and mother-fucking Hunter Ryans.

Devon and Hunter walk over and my heart skips a beat. Yup, you guessed it, he's my hopeless crush.

A quick sharp dig into my elbow stops me from staring at him.

"What the hell was that for!" I glare at Fern.

She wriggles her thin eyebrows at me suggestively at looks over at Hunter.

"Not talking to a guy doesn't really make him like you, not last time I checked, now's your chance!"

I roll my eyes and look over to the tall boy, silently praying I don't fuck up. Like screaming POTATO in his face than running.

"H...hey Hunter." I try to give him a smile but it comes out all wobbly.

"Hey Brooke". He gives me a warm smile.

I think you can hear my heart swooning from China.

Ree walks up behind us and it's easy giving her a grin.

Although her appearance is somewhat intimidating (dyed red hair, a gleaming nose ring and a tattoo that snakes up into her sweater sleeve), she's a nice girl.

"Miss Hart said we can to outside", she says while she untangles her earphones.

Outside it is deathly quiet; it seems the rest of the school is too scared to venture outside.

"You'd think in a school of six hundred people somebody would go outside, apart from us?" Fern whispers to me.

"Dunno. I don't even know what the big deal is with the sickness going around. It's just some crazy flu that'll come and go like the Swine flu."

My friend looks at me as if I'm crazy. "Did you even watch the news this morning?"

Shrugging guilty I sit down on the bench the others have sat down on. "No. It's all sickness and death and murder and suicides. I don't bother."

"Yeah, I know. But apparently... Well apparently..." She runs her fingers through her dirty blonde hair, and sighs exasperatedly.

"I think it's better if you see it yourself."

She digs in her pocket, withdraws her phone and looks up the news website.

"There's no wi-fi, Brooke." Her voice is shrill and worried.

"I'm sure it's just the schools shitty connection, we should actually start on this goddamn assignment." I end my sentence with a light laugh, hoping to brighten the tension in the atmosphere but it just comes out awkwardly.

"Nobody asked for your opinion, fucking nerd." Devon looks at me with a twisted expression and I resist the urge to chop up his dick and stuff it down his throat.

"You'll be the one wanting my help on this work, fucking loser." I smirk at him as he flushes and Hunter laughs. Devon sends him a cold glare.

If looks could kill, Hunter would be on the ground right now, convulsing.

We plough through the work and after half an hour we all need a break.

"I'm going to get a drink, be back in a sec", I say and stand up to stretch my legs.

"When I finish this last question, I'll meet you at the water taps," Fern shouts as I walk away.

Giving her a thumbs up to show her I heard, I head down the stairwell to the taps outside the toilets.

After taking a drink and splash my face with the cool water, Fern still hasn't come so I decide to go to the toilets.

The door opens with a rusty creak, which sounds like something from a horror movie. My dark hair falls in my eyes so I brush my locks back and walk into the toilet block, just as a strangled moan of pain echoes from the nearest stall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yoohoo me again

So I know I promised there would be zombies in this chapter but hold on tight for the next chapter!

Sorry if it's a bit short, I kind of hurried the last part as it's storming (for the first time in forever) and I'm pretty sure the wi-fi is about to cease working.

I'll come back and edit the last part after the storm passed.

Thanks again and love you all

~Jenna xx