• getting to know her •

Jed stood there with his body on alert mode. He knew he would have to be fast to get Marie out of there if something happened. Marie was too close to whoever just broke into their house.

She was a mess, maybe homeless, Jed thought. And he was partially right. She had a home, but not in this world. Here she's homeless.

"Who are you?" He asked being careful to not make a sudden move.

"She's Jade. She's the fairy of Air!" Marie said with excitement, like she just met Santa.

"Maybe. It does look like has been inside of a tornado for a couple of hours." He joked.

"That's because I was. It wasn't a tornado, but it was close." Jade explained. They both were scared. Jade didn't know how humans would react. Historically, things were not always good between humans and whatever they don't understand. And she knew that.

"Let's cut the jokes. You broke into my house and now you better leave before I call the cops." Jed was dead serious, like Marie had never seen him.

He wasn't acting like that for himself. He knew he had to protect his sister at all costs.

"No!!!" Marie yelled. "You can't! She doesn't even have a home!"

"And you don't even know who she is! Not even if she's lying!" He wouldn't argue with a 6 year old. "She's gonna leave. Now!"

Marie took a deep breath. Tears were ready to fall from her blue eyes.

"You didn't even see what she can do!!!" Marie yelled with all her strength. Jed looked at her with the most angry look he could give. That wasn't the right moment to pull a tantrum.

"I don't wanna cause problems. I didn't fell here on purpose. I'm leaving." Jade turned to the window and was ready to call Air and see if it would work right this time, when Jed took her by the arm.

"Are you insane?" He was almost yelling at her. "You're gonna hurt yourself. I cannot let this happen when I'm taking care of my sister alone for one night."

Jed couldn't get mad at Jade. She didn't look dangerous, or at least she didn't look like she would hurt them.

"Where should we take you? Any relatives in town?" He looked Jade in the eyes and noticed how beautiful they were.

"I- I don't have any relatives. But I think I have some people I need to find."

Marie was paying so much attention to everything and she was so quiet that Jed almost jumped when she talked again.

"Let's help her, Jed." Marie begged, looking at him with puppy eyes. She knew exactly how to get him.

He looked at her and then at Jade. There was no way he was not helping Jade.

"Okay. We're gonna help her. But it's on my terms." He said and Marie started to jump around Jade. "And stop treating her like she's a fairy. She's like us."

She wasn't.