Chapter 11 : Their Love

Their footsteps echoed into the night as Caroline lead him through the dark streets which were lit up by Chinese lanterns and streetlights. Her grasp on Klaus' hand never weakened, neither did his on hers. They walked in silence towards the centre of town where artists were standing round to capture the sunset on canvas, violinists played melodies which blended together perfectly and a few people stood conversing with each other.

Bypassing the area she continued to lead him to the mansion where she, Kat, Kol and Rik lived. They arrived in front of the driveway and their footsteps crunched on the gravel. Opening the door she lead him to the roof of the mansion and sat with her legs hanging over the edge as Klaus sat down beside her.

Caroline's POV-

How do I tell him? How do you figure out the right words to describe the fear of when you're stuck under water? How do you begin and tell him?

"Caroline, why?" He murmured as he looked out to the sky as it began to set. I looked over his face, it hadn't changed at all, is skin seemed as soft as before, his dimples sat beside his raspberry lips and his eyes twinkled like deep blue oceans. He turned and his eyes bore into mine. "Why didn't you let me know, I thought you weren't ready to travel?" I let out a shaky breath as my eyes had begun to fill with tears and I hadn't even started to explain any of it yet. Closing my eyes to gather my thoughts and then reopening them I began.

"What I'm about to tell you Klaus...I...I need you to stay here, don't leave me, not until I've finished saying what I need to say." I gently take hold of his hand and savour the feel of his soft hand in mine, a sensation I've longed for since the first day that I was trapped." Promise me." He swallows and squeezes my hand gently as he nods.

"I promise." I let out a breath and hesitantly smile at him as he returns with a small smile of his own.

"I wasn't travelling the world Klaus. I meant what I told you when you visited me. I wanted to remain in Mystic Falls with my mom." My voice began cracking as I mentioned my mother. Pull yourself together Care. You need to do this. "A few days after you had left for New Orleans, I woke up in the middle of the night and heard some sounds. I got up and went downstairs to figure out who it was." I turned my gaze to the sky as it became red and purple. "I found Elena, emotionless, in my kitchen. She had somehow tricked Stefan and Damon and got out of the Salvatore house. She was holding my mom hostage. I tried to get her out and stop Elena but she overpowered me and pinned me to the wall with a wooden lamp stand." I turn my eyes back to Klaus who is staring at me with worry. "Elena tore into my mom's throat and drained her blood, killing her in the process and then she snapped my neck." I swallow as I remember the look on my mom's face as she was dying. "I woke up some time later in a metal coffin with Elena standing over me smiling. She had tied me to the coffin with vervain ropes so that I couldn't get out, she locked the door and threw me in the Falls." I wipe away a tear and laugh with no humour. "I'm sure you've heard of what Silas did to Stefan, how he trapped Stefan in a locker and threw him into the Falls as well, letting him drown for 2 months."

"Caroline, were you..." his voice cracks and I squeeze his hand softly as I nod slowly, making my eyes connect with his as they glisten with tears and mine begin to run down my cheeks.

"I was trapped in the box, drowning over and over again. I couldn't get out and that's why I couldn't pick up your calls or reply to your messages and why you couldn't find me. Elena had a witch put an anti-locator spell on me so that no matter who cast the locator spell, it wouldn't work on me."

"How long were you...?" His voice is a whisper and would have bypassed me if it wasn't for my vampire hearing.

"16 months." I murmur as I close my eyes and remember the feeling of cold water in my lungs.