Prologue

"W-what are you doing?!" I shouted as the woman grew uncomfortably close, her clouded grey eyes boring into mine.

"I'm just doing what the fortune cookie said. Who am I to stand in the way of fate?" she answered whilst bending down.

"Isn't this unconventional? Especially in public?" I spat as I blushed, taking note of the ongoing masses of shoppers.

A spell of silence swept the strange woman's face. After a thought, she sighed and stood up dejectedly.

"I... I understand, I'll go find someone else. Thanks for your time," she muttered, starting to walk away.

"Wait. What did the fortune cookie say?" I questioned, wanting to know if my suspicions were correct.

She turned to me, seemingly fascinated at the prospect of inquiry.

"Something along the lines of 'licking the shoe of a stranger will bring you good luck'. I figured it was worth a shot, so I ran out of the restaurant I was dining in and encountered you!" she recalled, pointing at the authentic Chinese delicatessen across from us.

"That's all very well and good, but why me?" I pressed.

"Well, your shoes looked hygienic an-"

"I was the first person you saw, right?"

"... Yep."

I sighed exasperatedly.

"Now that we have that sorted, I'll be on my way," I remarked, picking up my shopping bags in a hurry.

I didn't trust this woman.

As I turned towards Coles, I felt a warm hand grab my wrist.

"Can't you stay, just for a little longer? I like talking to you..." she admitted quietly, looking at the ground.

I faced her, taking in her appearance and body language. She was a lanky girl with long, straightened brown hair and tiny freckles adorning her cheeks. She paired a simple black mini-skirt with a white overcoat, and a black beanie to top it all off. Based on her actions, she appeared to be a careless girl, one who lived in the ephemeral moment, with a general disregard for her own safety.

"I, uh, really have to get going, my mum's waiting for me outside," I lied on the spot.

"Oh, I see... Well, I'll definitely meet you again!" she commented politely, and headed in the opposite way to the Chinese restaurant.

I waved her goodbye, but then stopped halfway; the reality of the situation hitting me like a brick. There was no fortune cookie.