The Decision

I wake to the sound of tapping at the window. Sunlight falls in patches on the floor, and a slight breeze ruffles the curtains. From the angle I am facing the window, the source of the tapping noise is hidden. I ignore it and go back to sleep. Tap, tap, TAP. I start to become nervous. Who would be tapping at the window at 7 in the morning? Slowly, I slide from underneath the blankets and creep up to the window so that the top of my head is level with the sill. Thrusting my head upwards I yank back the curtains, immediately blinded by the sudden light. A startled bird flutters about, bumping into the window and then finally taking off into the sky. I chucle to myself, on the verge of hysterical laughter, when the bed next to mine squirms. 

        I see Margaret and the four other girls in our dorm waking up and getting dressed. I open the blinds all the way and rush into the bathroom so I can be the first one in and out. By the time I am done, there is already a line of two or so girls. I'm grateful its a Saturday, and I wont have to deal with the girls at school. Margaret is the only one in the room when I enter, re-organizing her suitcase. I grab a sweatshirt and pull it over my head, not bothering to brush my hair. As I am about to leave, Margaret stops me by her bed.

        "Evangeline," she whispers. I wince, nobody ever calls me by my full name. "We need to leave tonight." 

        "Tonight? We're leaving tonight?" This can't really be true. I'm so exited I can't even think straight. Its back to the earlier days, when we lived in freedom, not having to care about anything but ourselves. 

        "Yes, thats what I just said." she replies. "I've been thinking that things have been getting to sketchy around here. I know you don't enjoy school here and neither do I."

        That last comment she made startled me. I was ashamed she knew so much about my time at school and yet, I never bothered to tell her the truth. Nevertheless, I gave her a big hug. "I'm ready."

        "Just like old times." Just like old times...

        Its snowing, and flakes dot our hair and clothing, almost blending us in with the hillside. The lights from the small town fade with the oncoming storm, making us feel lonlier than ever.

        "Are you ready to leave?" Margaret turns and asks.

        "I'm ready." and we trudge off into the landscape, having no clue of direction. Our feet are numb with cold, so I slip my hand into Margaret's. The small bit of warmth brings us hope, and for a second the snow seems to lighten up. Tears are frozen to my cheeks, and the cold stings my eyes. I've left someone behind again. We always leave someone behind.

        I was eight at the time. That night was one of our hardest journeys to make. We would have died, had I not spotted an abandoned shed sitting in the middle of nowhere. I can almost still feel the water sloshing around in my shoes, and the snowflakes melting on my eyelashes. 

        After breakfast I head into the woods with only my imagination to keep me company. Margaret had errands to run so we will be prepared for our journey. She never comes with me anyways. The ground is covered with a thick layer of leaves; patches of sunlight fall randomly through the treetops. A giant oak the size of a truck has broken into the center of a small clearing, curling it's roots around fallen branches and patched of grass. I hop over to a crook in the roots near the base of the tree, and run my hands along the bark. I carved my name into the tree a short while after we first arrived, claiming it as mine. The branches hang low, allowing me to clamber above the treetops. I sit there, peacefully for a while, but then eventually doze off. 

        Laughter. Pinging through the trees It jolts me awake. I look around, but nobody is there. I slowly lower myself to the ground with my telekinesis. I am usually more careful about hiding my powers, but curiosity wins. I start to run towards the sound. Wait, its behind me. I can't focus on an exact location. No, its all around me. Amidst the laughter i make out a small zzip noise. The sounds and colors start to swirl together until I think i'm going to scream, but something touches my arm. It's a hand. A human hand. Immediatey everything sharpens. I hear the person speak, and I know they were creating the laughter. 

        "Are you okay?" the person asks.

        I turn to speak but they've disapeared. I want to call out but my voice is stuck. A shadow moves in one of the high branches of a tree. I see a boy standing there. He notices me looking and shrinks back. I reach my arm out but the voice speaks again, this time from behind. 

        "I didn't mean to startle you." 

        I swing around to find empty air. Where is he. I can hear the zzip noise following him. The shadows seem to stretch in odd places. 

        "Why can't you speak to me?" He asks, confuzed. I turn, and this time he does not hide. A look of frustration crosses his face. "You can talk, can't you?" 

        I want to yell to him. I want to make a sound. As I open my mouth the world tilts, and leaves fly up into my face. He turns me over, mumbling to himself. I can't move. He takes one last look at me and then leaves. 

        A wall of cold slams into me and I'm jolted awake. It was a dream. The sensation of falling, is not. I look down to see the ground racing towards me. Mustering all the strength I have, I push up away from the ground. I manage not to become an alien pancake. My telekinesis worked a little too well, however, and I rocket towards the sky, crashing through the treetops. I squeal a little before plummeting downwards yet again.  This time I concentrate, and lower myself gently into the leaves. I lay there for a while, breathing in the smell of mildew, before hauling myself up to return to the town.