History of loneliness

His concept has changed over the years. Loneliness is not a word, it is a place, a situation, a feeling. Through her we have seen infinity of achievements of thinking. There are few eureka's that are shouted together.

Through the presence of solitude, we learned what disgrace is. But what is the presence of loneliness? Why a concept that approaches the void can hold such a large space in the consciences and dictate the evolution of individuals? Because loneliness weighs in societies. Loneliness has an aura of selfishness and, at the same time, of hopelessness. In my case, I am unable to imagine life without the extensive moments in which I find myself alone, writing and reading for ten or twelve hours a day. I enjoy it. It is a kind of seclusion that I depend on and seek, it is a loneliness opposed to what one sees as the triumph of civilization. But civilization has been the schizophrenic vehicle of solitude.

Before being called loneliness, it was the worst punishment. In ancient Greece, those who considered themselves dangerous to the community were excluded. Their distance was penance, non-acceptance within the group, the definition of impartiality before others. Although without the recognition of the outcast to the otherness of the excluding there would be no loneliness.

In the Middle Ages, loneliness was equivalent to the figure of the desert. A place where the absence of elements made it ideal for reflection, which for those years was a religious thing. Only they had the time and the necessary conditions to remain locked inside of themselves and to think. At that time, loneliness did not refer to the feeling of men, but to the condition of the environment. The man was not alone unless he could do it.