Prologue

Midoriya Izuku showed the first signs of his quirk at a very young age. 

Izuku had been developing at an incredibly fast rate, already sitting up on his own, crawling around and reaching to be picked up. He was showing so much improvement in his motor and communication skills that even as a new mother, Midoriya Inko knew her baby was special.

How special exactly, though, she wasn't yet sure. The first time it happened, Inko was playing with her newborn baby, only a month after he was born. She had been gently tossing Izuku up in the air, barely letting him leave her hands, before catching him again. She had done it over and over, getting wild giggles out of her baby boy. 

She'd done this until he doesn't reach her hands again after being tossed in the air.

As a mother and a naturally nervous woman, Inko's first reaction was to panic. She scanned the entire floor with her eyes, trying to figure out where Izuku might've fallen. She hadn't heard a thump, or any other noise indicating that he had, in fact, fallen, but she didn't know where else he could've been! Inko felt like she could faint. 

She had been working up a real panic, half-way to tears, when she'd been broken out of her thoughts by another childish giggle. Inko had whipped her head around, trying to figure out which direction it had come in. After a second giggle she had pinpointed it. Not anywhere around her, but... up? Inko's eyes trailed upwards, before widening. Lo and behold, there Izuku was, fluffy green hair pressed against the ceiling and a giant smile on his face.

He stayed floating up there for seven minutes.

Inko was definitely going to faint.

Multiple other incidents like this happened over the course of the next few months, overlapping with different milestones. Like his first steps; not on the ground, but in the air over his crib. Seeing as this was fairly similar to the first incident (and by extension, her own quirk), she wasn't too concerned. But as the events kept coming, getting more and more outlandish, Inko began to worry. His first words were spoken directly into Inko's mind, for goodness' sake! Even during a simple game of peek-a-boo, when she'd opened her eyes again, Izuku had actually disappeared! 

Of course, after those first few instances, she had taken him to the quirk doctor to try to figure out what was going on. Initially, the doctors had thought it was an enhanced version of her own weak telekinesis (that had just manifested extremely early), as she had, though after the appearance of his other abilities, Izuku became more and more of an anomaly. Every professional that they had went to had no idea what to make of little Izuku. They had looked into Inko's family quirk history, their own records, and still had no explanation for what was happening with his quirk. The least far fetched idea any of them had was that it was an extremely mutated combination of multiple quirks on Inko's side of the family. 

Even so, after a while it was clear they weren't making any progress in discovering the intricacies of Izuku's quirk, and in the same time period, Inko discovered that she doesn't really care. Izuku was her son. No matter what idiosyncrasies, and no matter what quirk he happened to have, Inko would love him unconditionally.

After looking down at her boy's sleepy face after another useless doctor's visit, she made her final decision. Before walking out of the door of the clinic, she slipped a filled out form to the receptionist, but made no new appointment.

The information on said form went as follows:

Subject: Midoriya Izuku

Quirk: Esper

Description: N/A

She walked into the evening sun smiling, that day.