[23]

23

23. ALL OF THEM

• • •

Five years later - Paris

As the sun was saying his farewell with the city in the early hours of the afternoon, Taera stepped down the street towards her atelier. Afraid that she would arrive late on her first exhibition as an artist, Taera sped her walk. With every step she took, the maroon barrette on her head would tilt on the right side, the autumn gentle breeze would kiss the skin on her legs behind the fabric of her baggy styled skirt and the afternoon sun rays would dance along with her red bouncy curls.

Cursing in her mind because she didn't leave her home earlier, with fast steps she passed the familiar shops located on the same street as her studio. In the meanwhile, her assistant had called twice already asking her about the champagne that was going to be served on the event. Then after five minutes, she called yet again to ask Taera if she wanted to add some Valrhona chocolate with the drinks, causing Taera to feel even more anxious about the exhibition.

"This wasn't a mistake, right?"

She whisper-yelled under her breath, but almost immediately scolded herself for having those kinds of thoughts. Because when she woke up that morning, she promised herself that this day was going to be 'her day'. She was going to be confident about it and wouldn't let a single soul ruin the day. She wasn't angry even when her parents told her that they weren't going to be able to make it on the first day of the exhibition because her mother was having a terrible cold and she was unable to travel from London to Paris.

She didn't even throw a tantrum when her coffee was spilled all over the white shirt she was supposed to wear on the event. She just laughed it off, throwing the shirt in the washing machine and walked towards her wardrobe to choose another one.

Her thoughts were calm like light rain, fulfilled with happiness like the trees laughing, dressed in their carnival clothes, the gold and scarlet of the autumn days. They painted a smile on her face as the branches waved and the southerly breeze whispered to her...

"Everything is going to be fine."

• • •

"You are humming that song again Taera and you only do that when you are in lack of inspiration or in this case, when you need to calm yourself. You seriously don't remember where you've heard it?"

Taera's assistant Lauren, who was also a close friend of hers, crept from behind her as Taera was finishing some late preparations for her upcoming exhibition.

"No and you know it. It's the only thing I remember from my life before I woke up in the hospital bed in London."

With only that said she waved her friend off and moved to see if some of the flower decorations needed to be rearranged. The truth was she didn't really want to talk about it. Her guests were to arrive at any minute and she didn't want to have her mind on other things than her artworks.