Aura

I woke up and found I wasn't alone.

Sitting in my chair was Violet, who silently read a book at my desk. She had her back facing me so she couldn't see the pang of guilt that scrunched my tear stained face. I didn't know if she spent the whole night there or had only returned once the sun rose up, but I had the suspicion that it was the former.

For a moment, I thought to say good morning and thank her for her aid so that she could feel free to return to her own room. However, I wasn't ready to stir. Fragments of the recent month had swirled around my head during my fitful sleep. I might have had to relive the fright of Mercedes clenching my neck and the horror of Bungee feeling me with his hungry hands, but I also got the chance to study other aspects of those nights.

Something stood between us on those occasions. A fog, a cloud, an aura. Perhaps my memory of that was just a machination of my subconscious trying to rationalize the attacks, but I felt certain I had noticed them. I recalled how hazy Mercedes looked from a distance and how just before the street lights flickered on, Bungee seemed caught inside a cloud. What did that really mean though?

I looked to Violet. Tired of my thoughts and I instead concentrated on what I needed to say to ease the mother's concerns while also not undermining her fear in relation to Jessie's death. I shivered as I recalled the swirl of light and the grotesque forms Jessie took as her soul cried out for comfort. I, then, thought of how Trevor's ghostly frame differed from hers. How he appeared distinct and handsome, while she was more of a foggy cloud.

"Oh my god," I shouted, snapping up from bed, my eyes wide and my breathing heavy.

"Delilah," said Violet, who dropped her book on to the desk and ran over to my side. "What's wrong? Are you okay? Was it a nightmare?"

"No," I muttered. "No, I think what I've been seeing is all too real."

"What do you mean?"

"I...I have to go," I said, my voice calming as I looked over at Violet's wide, pleading eyes.

"Go where?" she asked with a slight frown. "You don't need to prove anything. It's okay to stay at home today to gather yourself. If you want, I can stay here with you and we could maybe talk about what exactly happened..."

"No, no, that's okay," I said, patting her hand, which had reached out to clasp my knee. "I appreciate it, but I'm not ready to talk about it. However, I am ready to start finding some answers. I think it will help with my healing. To do that though, I need to head out."

"Are you sure?" She sighed and stepped away from the bed, allowing me room to get up and head over to my wardrobe. "I can't leave you here, Delilah. I can't walk away..."

"I know and I truly appreciate it," I said, halting my search for clothes and instead turning to hug her. Though my nerves bounced at the feeling of someone's touch engulfing me again, my body eventually eased and I sighed with comfort, her warm embrace a form of healing all on its own. "I'm really sorry about what happened to Jessie, but please know that, even if I'm not willing to talk about things right now, I know how ready you are to be there for me when I am. I know I'm not alone."

I pulled away and found tears collecting along Violet's lashes. She sniffed back her fear and gave me a shaky smile.

"You promise?" she asked, her voice rattled.

"I promise. Please, go rest or practice getting ready to meet Jessie, whatever it is you usually do at this time of day. If it makes you feel better, I'll let you walk with me to the police station so you know I'll be in safe hands."

"You're heading to the station?" she asked, her voice perking up with interest. "I think I heard Sheriff Hathaway might be out doing an investigation or something right now."