Chapter 5

Kyla's POV

  Things were back to normal the next day in school. The rumour mill was in full throttle with the news of Derek and my supposed relationship. Thanks in part to my so-called friends. I was really starting to tire of the lot of them. With only a short time left in school before graduation I was finding myself holding my tongue around them more often. How much I wanted to lay into them for their attitudes.

Can't really blame them for their world view though, they're only emulating what their parents have shown them all these years. Don't know what made me different in that aspect but I learnt years ago that my parent's way is not the only way to live my life. While I haven't rebelled in an outrageous teenage fashion, I did put my foot down with my job choice. To say my mother was not happy I would be working in a grocery store would be an understatement. She had a right fit on me. When she saw that I wasn't willing to budge on the matter she went to dad. Probably reminding him for the first time in weeks that he had a daughter.

My parents are all about appearances and, my older brother has bought into that world view, following my parent's life plan to the college of their choice. Not me though. When my father told me it was time to get a part-time job as it would look good for my college transcripts, he probably should have told me what type of job he had in mind. I took this loophole and ran with it. Searching for every shitty menial job out there.

When my father found out about my job choice it didn't quite go as mother had planned. He simply laughed and said I wouldn't last a month there. I've been there two years and they've taken to telling others that I don't have a job.

A few people have asked me today about Derek and I have told them the truth that we are not dating. The look I receive varies from disappointment to disbelief. Others think it is a bigger gossip point that I deny the relationship. I've found that everybody has their own opinion and very few are interested in the truth. Unfortunately, no matter how much I don't want everyone talking about this, I also need to have people know who I am so they will hopefully vote for me. This exposure is probably not the type the hairspray duo dreamed of but it is getting my name out there. As the hairspray duo said around their third glass, no press is bad press if you know how to work it. Somehow the types of tactics they alluded to are not something I want to emulate.

I really want that crown but can I get it without selling my soul?

I've seen Holly around a few times today both of us sending the other our own code. A scratch of the nose, I love you. A scratch of the ear, I miss you. Little things to keep us connected. Towards the end of the day I see the code that instantly gets my heart racing with anticipation. She scratched the hollow of her neck while looking dead at me. This means she wants to meet up at our spot after school.

When the final bell rings I make my excuses and jump straight in my car. I park in the car park of the local park and make my way along the trail towards the woods. Once I pass the tree stump marker, I jump off the trail and follow the wooded path Holly and I have created. It doesn't take long before I arrive at the fallen tree that forms a natural bench. Holly found this spot when she was younger and shared it with me when we needed a space to be alone. This spot was perfect because it was completely obscured from the public trails.

I have enough time to drape the blanket I keep in the car just for this reason across the fallen tree before I hear rustling coming my way.

"One of these days I'm going to get here first." Holly says leaning casually against a tree. Her shoulder length light brown hair tucked behind her ears. Green eyes glinting with her usual cheekiness. While she calls herself plain I see only beauty and she wants to be with me.

"Technically you did, seeing as you found this place and showed it to me."

She weighs my words before shrugging and heading over to sit next to me.

"Hey." she smiles, nudging me with her shoulder.

"Hey yourself." I say nudging back.

We last about two more seconds smiling at each other before falling into each other's arms. We kiss with a fever of young love. Connecting like it's been months since we last made out and not a day. After a while we sit together in contention. With Holly's arms wrapped around me I'm at my happiest.

When we start to get hungry, we head back to Holly's house. Karen doesn't even blink when Holly says I'm staying for tea, I've had meals with them so many times over the past year it's become common place.

After we eat we retreat to Holly's room and end up snuggled up together on her bed. Or as Holly would say we are cwtched up. I love it when she says stuff that shows her Welsh heritage. It adds interest to our relationship that she wasn't raised in this area, or even this country. She's my exotic beauty.

We're talking about nothing terribly scintillating but these lazy moments are great for us. Simply being with the other is the most important thing.

"Holly." Karen calls up the stairs. "Laurie's at the door for you."

"Shit." Holly mumbles. "Okay, I'll be down now in a minute." She yells back.

I cover my disappointment at our time being cut shot and smirk at her. "Now in a minute? I still don't understand that one."

"Oh, shut up." she smiles back. With a sigh we both sit up. "Sorry about this."

I give her a quick kiss. "Don't worry about it. I should probably be heading home anyway."

After a final lingering kiss we both head out of her room, Holly going first. Karen, bless her, knows that Holly's friends don't know we hang out and helps cover for us. Normally we can have free reign of the house but if there is a chance of us crossing over she'll run a distraction. Much like she is doing now.

Karen hears us reach the bottom of the stairs and calls out that her and Laurie are in the kitchen. It's so easy talking with Karen that it is not unusual for Holly to find her friends talking with her mum, without her.

The kitchen is in the back of the house and out of view of the front door. With a practised hand I get the front door open without making a noise and after a quick 'call you later' shut the door behind me.

Suppose it's time to head home and get my homework done for the night. Roll on college where Holly and I have chosen to go to the same school. Nobody we know will be there so we can be together without worry.