Chapter 1 A New Beginning

A family of four walked out of the theatre, a woman and a man smiled at their two children who were talking about the movie. The man sat his arm over his daughter's shoulder and the woman did the same to her son. "Oh, come on, Tom, it wasn't that bad." The woman laughed, "oh, no? Childish drivel."

The two children listened to their parents talk and they turned to each other and smiled, "well, the acting was fine and the music was lovely. What are your thoughts Bruce and Brexley?" "Sorry, Mom, I agree with Dad. It was kind of lame." "There's no such word as kind of. Brexley what's your thoughts?" Brexley smiled and before she could give her dad the answer they were interrupted by a thug.

"What's up, folks?" The man held up a gun to the family, the woman gasped and froze. "Stay calm, Bruce." The woman wrapped her arms around both of her children, and watched the thug. Brexley felt a tear fall from her eye as she looked the thug over.

"Give me your money." "No problem," Brexley and Bruce watched as their father handed the thug his wallet, "we're cooperating." The thug looked over at the woman and pointed his gun, "the necklace." The woman let go of Bruce and Brexley to take her necklace off, "it's okay."

The thug snatched the necklace away from the woman, "easy." Brexley watched as the man pulled the trigger and shot her father, the woman let go of her children in shock and the thug turned his gun on the woman and shot her.

Brexley turned around and watched her mother fall to the ground, Brexley turned her head to look at the thug, and her eyes widened when she saw that the gun was pointed at her. A third gunshot rang out and Bruce turned around to watch his sister's head turn sharply and soon fall to the ground.

Brexley fell, and she felt a hot pain radiate from her cheek, her head slammed on the concrete. Tears visibly started to roll down her cheeks, Bruce turned to the thug thinking that he was the next one to get shot, the man lowered his gun and walked away. Bruce started to shake, he knelt down and shook his mother, "Mom? Mom?" Then turned to his dad, "Dad? Dad?"

When they didn't move he then saw that his sister was still breathing, "Brex?" He knelt down next to her and saw that her eyes had shut, and was badly bleeding on her cheek. He looked at his hands then he fell to his knees and gave a loud scream.

Unbeknownst to him a girl had witnessed everything, she watched as the boy crawled back over to his sister and held her. She stayed until the cops and ambulance showed up.

~An hour later~ 

Bruce still held his sister when the ambulance showed up, they had to pry his hands off of Brexley so that they could start on closing the gash on her face. One of the cops gave Bruce a blanket, he kept his eyes on the people who were rushing around Brexley making sure that she stayed alive.

Moments later two cops came walking through the alley, "oh, the legendary Harvey Bullock. No rest for the wicked, eh?" "Tannenbaum, looking crisp. This is my new partner, James Gordon. What we got?" "Just got here myself. Male, female, gunshot. And over there is another victim, gunshot to the face, she's still alive, their other kid saw the whole thing. Poor bastard hasn't spoke a word yet."

James turned his head and saw Bruce shaking with the blanket, and he walked over to Bruce. Harvey crouched down and lifted the sheet then he lifted the sheet covering the woman, then he furrowed his eyebrows and sat his hand over his mouth.

James looked down at Bruce who stared at the ground, "my name's James Gordon. I'm a detective. What's your name?" Bruce continued to shake, "it's okay. You don't have to talk."