Prologue

Please, for me! For yourself, your family,” Jai begged.

I can't do it. I've been put down too much, told I can't sing and that my opinion doesn't matter.”

Please, McKayla. You are an amazing singer.”

I looked up at my best friend of two years, Jaidon Domenic Brooks. That fourteen year old, one year my junior, had been my rock after moving to Melbourne two years ago when I was newly thirteen and wanted a fresh start. To leave the bullies behind.

Jai had found me in Melbourne central on a tram, crying by myself. Even at the age of twelve he managed to make my day by simply walking up to me, putting his arm around me and just talking for the rest of the day. That was the day I would remember forever. The day I met my best friend.

I laughed in my head. At how stupid I was to fall in love with him, sure he wouldn't feel the same way. But of course, Jai would never know that.

Please,” Jai whispered, his brown eyes staring into my bright blue ones. His hand reached up slowly to brush a piece of my dyed black hair back, creating tingles where his hand had touched my face.

You seriously want me to do this? Try out for The X-Factor? Are you crazy, Jai?” I replied.

No,” he said defensively. “You're incredible Kayla!”

How do you know? Besides, the ideal X-Factor contestant is the whole package...Looks, stage presence, voice...”

Jai looked at me. “You have that. You're gorgeous. You're perfect. When I see you my entire day gets better instantly. You have this amazing effect on people McKayla, and you don't even know it.”

I stared at him in shock. The look in his eyes showed...love almost?

Suddenly Jai's lips were on mine, and although I was partly in shock I immediately responded. His arms wrapped around my waist and he rested his forehead against mine.

You know all that is true right? That's why I'm in love with you.”

A smile spread across my lips. “I'll do it,” I said suddenly.

Jai's face lit up. “Really? I can make you do anything!”

I just hugged him and said, “And that's why I'm in love with you, Jai.”

This was incredible and unbelievable.

I'm trying out for The X-Factor Australia, 2009.