The Beginning of the end.

...Wake up...come on we're almost at our stop. I wake up with a startle. I look over at my best friend from 4th grade. He's grinning from ear to ear. I look over at him and roll my eyes. I turn the other way and look out the window of the old bus we're in and I see we're about 3 stops away from me and Gen's neighborhood. I look over at Gen. "That excited for summer huh"? I ask with a smirk on my face.

We pull into our neighborhood and I smile. I wave as Gen goes the other way to his house a few homes down. I smile and look at my house. Something's not right. Both my mom and dads car was home but all the lights were off. No one was at the door to greet me as they normally would. I go to the door and knock. No answer. I fish around in my bag for my key. I unlock the door. I run inside and see my mom. Mom I yell. I run up to her and tap her shoulder. She turns around and all I see on her face is blood and scratch marks. Her face had a green-black tint to it. She looks me dead in the eyes and moans out in pain. Out of nowhere, I hear someone yell for me to get out of the way. The pain shoots through my right leg I start to move then black out.

I wake up in a bedroom. It's not mine but It seems familiar. I get up but I stumble. There's a bandage on my leg. I fall over. Iie there for a minute then there's a soft knock at the door. "Come in," I say weakly. Gen enters the room. He speaks softly " Are you ok"? "Yeah, I just fell". He picks me up and sits me on the bed. He gives me a hug and starts crying. "What's the wrong G"? "A lot," he says. "It feels like my world has fallen apart" I'm just glad you're ok". "Do you know how long you were out?" "No," I say nervously." You were out for 5 days!"

I realize that it's morning by the sunlight coming through the window. I notice my phone on a charger. I also notice that I'm in sweat pants and a t-shirt. "When did I change"? I ask myself. I notice the bandage that's still on my leg. I unwrap the bandage and see a long, deep cut going down my leg. I try and get up to walk. I stumble a bit then leave the bedroom not knowing what I would find. I see a bunch of room's then a bathroom. Then I see a staircase. I hear people upstairs in an attic maybe. so I start to walk up to find G.

I start up the stairs. I stop at the top of the stairs. I see a girl about a year or two older than me, she introduces herself as Jane and brings me to the kitchen area where I see a few other people. I see Gen and he walks over to me and grabs my hand and walks me to the table and introduced me to everyone. He looks at a guy in jeans and a windbreaker wearing a fedora. "That's Patrick". Gen looks over at another guy in ripped black jeans with a football jersey. " That's Pete." I look over at Patrick and he stares then quickly leaves the room.

"Let me give you the tour," Pete says. I and Gen follow Pete to the main living room "This is the living room." We walk to a closet "laundry closet." He opens the closet to reveal a washing machine and a dryer. We walk to the next door on the corner by the living room. Pete opens the door "bathroom," he says. We go to the staircase and walk upstairs and Pete points to the far door. "Patrick and I's room." He points to the door closest to the 1st. Jane and your room. Then points to the door next to it. Bathroom. "Where's your room G," I ask. "It's in the basement." I settle into my room and after about an hour Gen comes in to talk to me. "Hi, I was wondering if we could talk for a few minutes." "Sure!" I say hopefully. Gen starts

FLASHBACK

" Well... after we got off the bus I got home and found that my mom and dad were gone. The house was torn apart and glass from the kitchen window was everywhere. I followed a trail of blood into the dining room where I saw my parents. They were just standing there. I tried to ask them what was going on but then they just turned to me and started walking to me trying to bite at me. Then I heard the screams of my little sister. She was yelling " Leave him alone! " She was crying then I bolted up the stairs to get her they followed. We ran into my parent's room and locked ourselves into the room. I checked my sister to see if she was hurt. Then I get the gun from under my parent's bed. I go out into the hallway and see them pacing my sister's room. I ask if they're ok. They start running at me and jumping on me. I shoot them and they're lifeless bodies are laying on the floor. I grab my sister and grab some supplies than when I get to your house I see you passed out and both your parent's body laying on the floor in the living room. Allie and I brought you here.

" Holy shit Gen!" I say. "It's turned into a living hell out there." He shares.

"What are we going to do? It's just the 6 of us. One of which is a child! " "We'll manage," Gen assures. 

1 month later

"Gen... Patrick...Pete...Jane?" "I could use some help here!" I start running back towards the house occasionally turning back to wack the zombie chasing me. I make in the house slamming the zombie's foot in the door. I walk to the kitchen. Patrick is sitting at the table staring out the window. Pete is sitting next to him. "What the actual hell guys? I needed help out there!" I wipe the splattered blood off of my forehead. "Well I'm sorry, but didn't I tell you not to go outside, to begin with?" Patrick states. "Can it Patrick." I play yell back. "We can't stay here much longer." Pete turns to me with a puzzling look. "What did you have in mind?" he questions. " Call a group meeting!" I yell marching up to Jane and I's room to start executing a plan.

About an hour later I go down to the living room. "I have a plan!" I announce. "We can't stay here for obvious reasons. So I purpose we go north to Maine! Zombies don't like the cold and maybe just maybe we can get a fresh start." "What if there's still Z's in Maine?" Patrick argues. " I put some thought into this and I think this will be really good for all of us including Allie." "Let's put it to a vote," Gen suggests. "OK, all in favor?" I ask. Gen, Pete, and Allie raise their hands. Patrick slowly raises his and says"Ok fine, what do we have to lose." North we march!"