Hana

Being adopted can be hard, unless you were lucky enough to be raised alongside Dannie. Me and her were practically twins, both age 13, even though we were a couple months apart. That, and I had come from a totally different family. My adoptive dad, or as I simply called him, 'Dad,' had told me that all I needed to know about my birth parents was that they were monsters. I was glad I hadn't been raised in a family like that! 

     "Oh come on Myles! At least try to keep up!" Dannie shouted over her shoulder at me as we both raced down an old cracked pavement road on our bikes. I was a bit afraid to go too fast, but Dannie was peddling as if her life depended on it. Her light blond hair flew like fire behind her. All Dannie had told me before we left was that we were going where Dad used to work. I had no idea what, or where, that old job was however. Neither did Dannie. We raced and raced our bikes until we saw something peaking over the tall meadow grass. Trees lined the old road but other than that it was all yellowish grass blowing wildly in even the calm breeze. 

     "Think that's it?!" I yelled to Dannie. She looked where I had looked and stopped abruptly in front of me. I had to take immediate evasive maneuvers, so I pulled my handles to the right to avoid her but ended up just running my bike into a tree alongside the road. 

     "Myles!" Dannie screeched as she ran over to me to help. I hadn't exactly landed however though. 'Oh no! I am floating again!' I panicked in my head as I felt myself weightless and slowly rising into the endless blue sky. I was afraid of heights! I couldn't float off into the sky! That would be my worst nightmare come true!.

     Last time I had floated was just a few months ago when I ran into another tree with the riding lawn mower. I really needed to stop running into trees! 

     I quickly grabbed the closest branch as I floated up like a half filled balloon. Dannie tried jumping up to reach me but I was too high up. 

     "Help!" I called out, desperate for some kind of answer. Only Dannie was there and she wasn't twenty feet tall. 

     "Remember last time!" Dannie called up to me from the safe ground. "All you needed to do was calm down and you slowly landed back on the ground! Try focusing on something safe!" I did as she advised, thinking of the beach and those weird calm things that wiggle in the sand if you step on a patch of sand they are resting under. That weird tingling feeling those suckered make your toes feel as they slowly sink into the sand. It wasn't exactly a calming memory, but it took my mind off floating. I closed my eyes tightly to block out the fact that I was clinging onto a tree for dear life. And the more I thought about the beach, the lower I felt myself fall until my feet were safely on planet Earth again. 

     "Fiew! Now all you need to do is stop running into trees." Dannie giggled. I punched her shoulder playfully and picked up my bike. The front wheel had been smashed in. And the thought of having to walk all the way back to the hotel alone made me exhausted. "Let's go see that building you pointed out." Dannie suggested. I shrugged and left my bike by the road. Dannie left hers closer to the trees. Both of us climbed over or under the rusty barbed wire fencing that all those trees had grown up against, and walked through the meadow towards what looked like an old concrete hut surrounded by vegetation including decently large trees. 

     When we got close enough we saw that there had been some serious demolition to the structure. Most of it looked like the trees wrapping around it had cracked and tore through the walls as if they were angry at the structure. And one of the walls was completely blown out as if an explosion had gone off there. Hard to believe, but there were even old burn stains that only hinted more that there had been an explosion. 

     "You think this is where Dad used to work?" I asked the silly question with a joking smile. 

     "Ha! No. I am pretty sure when he pointed down this road and said he used to work over there, he probably was pointing way further down the road." Dannie responded. I sighed as I gently stroked the ashy stone. There was something, odd, about this place. Out of a nervous habit, I reached for the back of my head and pinched some of my soft dark brown hair. "Look at this!" Dannie called for me as she looked down at something near the floor. I looked down as well and saw a rusty old leaver. Out of curiosity, I pulled on it. The rust made it hard to move and the metal screamed as it rubbed against each other. 

     I gave the leaver one final yank and something snapped. At the same time the metal leaver fractured and I fell back. A old rumbling of wheels kind of sound came from underneath the ground and me and Dannie stepped back. Then, the floor of the room opened up just as we walked outside through the hole in the wall. Dannie squeaked in surprise when all the rusty joints screamed as the hole in the floor was revealed. I peeked my head in carefully and looked into the darkness. 

     "Hello?!" I called down there for some reason. The two large doors that had once been the floor screamed once again and fell all the way down, as if my voice had given them a reason to open further. One by one, lights flickered on to show how deep the hole went. It actually looked more like an abandoned elevator shaft. A ladder awaited us that lead down into the darkness where the lights continued slowly to flicker on. I looked at Dannie with an adventurous expression. 

     "Nu-uh! I ain't going down there! Too dangerous!" She objected to my face's question. I just gave her the puppy eyes. "Okay, okay, fine!" Dannie agreed with a groan. My face lit up with the hope of excitement and adventure as I started descending down the ladder. Both me and Dannie crawled our way down the ladder, following the flickering lights. What an adventure?!