f o u r

Game night was always different to other nights. Especially the last game of the season. Especially between the two famously rivalled teams; the Knights and the Flyers.

A nervous energy filled the arena, almost choking me.

My gaze flickered across to the away team's supporting stand. Unlike most matches, it was almost full, but that didn't surprise me. This wasn't a normal match.

As the lights flashed on and the music shuddered through the cool air, I stepped onto the ice. The grin plastered on my face hurt my cheeks.

Last period, last chance for us to fight back. The score had been held at nil-nil since the beginning. We needed to win. The Flyers knew this.

"We got this!" Scotty yelled, the excitement heightening his voice. I chuckled.

The buzzer sounded and the clash of clans began.

Spray shot up where the knife edge of my skates sliced through the thin layer of partially melted ice.

The puck slipped across the ice towards me, whizzing past the Knights' oblivious players. Gently, I caught the small piece of plastic with my stick, skating faster as I approached the goal.

My lip pulled between my teeth.

I narrowed my eyes at their goalie, watching his careful movement through the clear plastic of my visor. His knees fell to the ice as I approached. I zeroed in on the back corner of the net, my gaze a laser, targeting the tough netting.

Our fans were on their feet, hands already in the air. Anticipation clogged up the air.

My eyes flashed up to the clock. Thirty seconds left.

I sped up, bending my knees, preparing to flick the puck into the goal.

Something hit my shoulder, hard, and I toppled wobbling on my feet. I shook the player off, ignoring his desperate teammates gathering at the goal.

Suddenly, I was there. I passed to Scotty, who shot it right back at me.

I glanced up and all between me and my victory was...Jay. I slid around him, curving to manoeuvre my body away from his tackle.

I pushed the puck into the goal with a thwack, the soft net gently guiding it home.

My fans stood up in a Mexican wave, erupting from an epicentre near the goal.

The buzzer sounded loudly, but I barely heard it.

Cheering filled the arena. The lights, torches, held high in the air. Their yells, urging me on claiming me as their hero. Their voices, harmonizing into one distinct chant. My name, being shouted by thousands of people. My name.

"De-an! De-an! De-an!"

My eyes met Jay's. He winked, a smile twinkling in his eyes. I grinned.

His team were gathered around him, but they too cheered my name.

I sped up my skating as I finished my lap of the rink, dropping to my knees for a victory slide.

Clapping filled the arena as I rose; for tonight, I was theirs'.

Scotty slapped me on the back, and my teammates followed him and I as we lined up to shake our rivals' hands.

Jay's hand clasped my own and he raised it into the air. I laughed, watching him encourage the crowd to serenade their man of the match once more.

He collided with me in a hug, whispering a promise in my ear as we separated.

"I love you,"