[Pocket Story] •Love : The True Essence•

Type :- Support, social issues, casteism, victory of love

~*~*~*~*~*~*

"But why???!!!"

He shouted at his highest pitch as he tightened his grip on her hand and looked at the people around him who were none other than his own family.

"Because she is a Bengali, Sanskar! And you better behave. We are at a function. There is no way this girl can become my daughter in law!" Mr Durgaprasad Maheshwari shouted at his highest pitch and glared at the girl standing numb besides Sanskar.

"Oh!" Sanskar let out a humorous laugh. "So, Swara can't be your daughter in law just because she belongs to another caste and not ours. I just don't get this, Papa. From when did caste start getting more priority than love? Tell me na!"

"Sanskar! Lower your tone and talk! He is your father!" Mrs Annaporna Maheshwari opposed but Sanskar wasn't going to hear this. Swara was taken aback but Sanskar comforted her.

"When are we going to break off the shackles of such kind of thinking Maa?" Sanskar said, this time his tone was softer.

"Sanskar, please if uncle and aunty are not happy with this marriage, then.." Swara mumbled with trembling hands but Sanskar denied.

"No Swara! Pyaar kiya hai mene tum se. Zindagi bhar saath rehne ka waada kiya hai tum se!"

"Yes but.. not like this, Sanskar! I.." She trailed off as she felt Sanskar's heated gaze on her.

Sanskar took a deep breath before looking at his family and other people in the society, never leaving Swara's hand as she looked on feeling a tinge of guilt.

"In a society, that is chasing modernity and upliftment, there are still loopholes! Is inter caste marriage really a sin? I don't understand it why. Is love really bounded by caste it religion? Why is it bad to marry a girl who belongs to another caste? How can we call ourselves a developing country when our minds are not ready to develop and think practical?"

Everything came into a standstill as Sanskar's voice boomed across the society hall. People around Swara and Sanskar were taken aback.

'In a society, that is chasing modernity and upliftment, there are still loopholes.'

'How can we call ourselves a developing country when our minds are not ready to develop and think practical?'

This was the voice that kept on ringing in everyone's ears until Sanskar spoke again...

"Maa, Papa, I love Swara." Sanskar said, and Swara felt his grip on her palm tightening with intensity.

"I love her very much." Sanskar confessed in public. "And I have promised her to keep her happy. And you will see, she is the best your son can have. She completes me! She is the one who taught me how to live life! She is the one who taught me what a beautiful feeling love is! Please, give her a chance and you will see it, that no other girl can be as good as Swara as your daughter in law! And it's my promise. Swara is the best daughter in law you can have!"

As soon as Sanskar completed, everyone else in the society hall was speechless. Annaporna and Durgaprasad's expressions were getting softer. Yes, they wanted the best for their son, that was true! But now...

It's high time to break off those shackles because nothing but only love was the true essence! Love is always beyond the barriers of caste, religion or age.

'Love is the true essence!'

And the Maheshwaris were slowly realising it, while Sanskar and Swara smiled as they knew their love had won.

♡♡♡♡♡~~~♡♡♡♡♡

A/N : This pocket story was my entry for the pocket story contest hosted by @SwaSanClub. I know it's too simple and far from perfect, but I still wrote it anyway. I wanted to highlight a social issue here regarding casteism. Hope you all like it. ❤