Mi Amor

Rose was too smart, too evolved to be caught up in the hype of weddings. This was purely just a declaration of love between the two and to make things less complicated legally in the future. Whenever Petra brought a new bridal magazine round, Rose would laugh and pour herself another glass of wine. She would sip from it and chat to Anezka as Ellie and Anna explained to Luisa all the problems with having an outdoor ceremony in September, when they had originally planned the wedding, but they changed it to July 4th, it had more meaning. Rose Ruvelle didn't care if the centrepieces were red roses or white lilies. Rose Ruvelle didn't worry when Luisa told her the caterers had to change the salmon to chicken. No. The wedding industry just turned grown women into children.

But who was she kidding? Since she had proposed to Luisa that night under the fireworks, she had thought of little else. In her notebook were cut-outs of ten different dress/shoe combinations, the final one circled in thick black pen. She had dreamt of standing before Luisa's family, Petra, and of course all the kids and their friends, with her fingers linked to Luisa's indefinitely. But it was no longer a dream. Today the past five years are real. Today it was a reality. Her reality. Her future.

She slipped out of bed and walked to her bathroom. Their bathroom. But Luisa was staying with her father, always one for tradition. The cold water she splashed on her face did nothing. She had hoped it would calm her down or at least bring her into the real world, but the excitement and nervousness running through her every pore was too hot. She heard her phone buzz on the nightstand and the chill of the screen on the side of her face soothed her.... or was it the sultry voice that slipped through the speakers.

"Good morning, my love." She could hear the smile in Luisa's voice. She sounded so happy, so excited.

"Hey beautiful." Rose replied, trying to disguise the wobble in her voice as tears formed in her eyes. Later that day, Luisa was going to walk down the aisle, on her father's arm and commit her future to her.

"You know, I hate it how you wanted the wedding at night." Luisa stated.

"Yeah?" Rose teased back, "And why's that?" She already knew the answer, but she wanted her fiancée to admit it.

"Because, Ro! I can't wait to be married to you." The tears that had already dared to fall ran down her face like tsunami tides. Her voice hitched in her throat and she was certain all Luisa could hear was high-pitched sobs and unsteady breaths. Eventually, she managed to get her thoughts out.

"I love you so much, Lu."

"I love you more." Her fiancée cooed back to her.

~~~~~

"So, how do I look?" Luisa stepped out of the bedroom and into Petra's little hallway. Her sister-in-law brought her right hand up to her face as she looked Luisa up and down. She never answered Luisa's question, she didn't need to. The small tears that sat at the corner of her eyes told the bride-to-be everything she needed to know. Luisa's dress was absolutely breathtaking. The bust down to mid-thigh was tight and smooth in a slightly decorated pattern that wrapped around Luisa's middle, leaving her collar bones and shoulders bare. The dress had sunk low in the back, revealing her honey skin. The dress went past her ankles, flowing much more loose mid-thigh down, with a beautiful and wide train following behind. It was minimalistic. Simple but elegant. It encompassed everything that Luisa was. Her dark waves fell loose around her right shoulder, with a white rose pin holding it tight by her left ear.

Petra stepped forward and threw her arms around the shorter woman carefully, making a conscious effort not to ruin anything. Luisa hugged her back tightly.

"Lets get you into the car hmm?"

"Yes." Luisa smiled and let her sister-in-law hold her hand as they walked down the stairs.