PROLOGUE

I rest my head on the cold tinted glass window, watching the raindrops slide past my face in rows of liquid florescent colors. I love the rain and its aura of tranquility. The streetlights down Andante drive glitter in the distance in contrast to the navy-blue sky above. The sun is disappearing behind the horizon as dusk lingers, along with the comfort it brings me. 

I loathe the dark. It scares me, filling my ever-racing thoughts with uncertainty and unanswered questions. My autumn brown sweater that I've been wearing since this morning had his scent lingering and dancing around each fiber of fabric.  Now, about half an hour into the heart of Sedona, these rocky landscapes caused an ache in my chest unimaginable to even the deepest of hearts. I long to come home again.

My phone beeped. A message. From them. 

My eyes drift to the LED screen; an expected message waiting for me.

"Are you on your way?"

I stretch my fingers out to reply with, "On my way."

My eyes drift back to the window, the raindrops speeding up as the driver tilted his head to the side with a chuckle... and I pretend everything is going to be okay. I created this mess, and in response to that statement, I need to correct my wrongs. Surely, he of all people could understand that"So, you running with the big dogs now, eh?", the driver said. 

He startled me. I couldn't believe he even spoke after the agonizing silence that had accompanied the long drive thus far. "Couldn't you say the same?", I spat.  He snickered. I guess the jury will disregard that last comment.  "Just saying. You're a long way from home. And I'm wondering, why you even trust Tristan in the first place.", he muttered.

The driver spun the car down a dirt road ahead in a heartbeat. Tristan agreed to meet us here to discuss how we sort out the issues regarding my father. The car came to an old rusty gate that looked like it had been there for ages, along with an old house that stood proud behind it. The guard at the gate checked identification and reasoning for our arrival. As the gates slowly opened Infront of us, the driver looked at me with cold eyes and a shaky voice, that quietly said, "We can always turn back you know... You can always change your mind."