Chapter One

Hello,my name is Nicole Drywood.This is what I would say if I ever got a chance to talk to a teen my age.But nah,I am stuck in flipping home school.My best friend has always been my conscience,always there for me when I need it most.

But this year is very different.My mom and I are at the store,in the school supplies aisle."So,what room am I gonna get this year to work in,the kitchen?"I ask,checking out the notebooks,tucking the blonde strands of loose hair behind my ear.She is silent for a few moments."Uh,no.You are gonna be in a classroom this year.Until college."she replies nervously.I eye her with confusion."What do you mean?"I inquire with the same expression.

"Charles thinks it's time you actually interact with other teens your age.I kind of agree with him."she explains.

Charles is my mothers boyfriend,as of last year.He visits occasionally from the neighborhood next to ours.

"Wait...I am actually going to high school?As in,Vansburg High School?"I ask wearily.

She nods."As in."

I may not be showing it,but I am freaking out and bubbly all at once.I have never talked to an actual teen my age,except for that girl one night at last years Christmas Party.

Am I gonna fit in?Am I going to be a loner in the back of the classroom?GRRRRR!

I must look pretty scary to my mother,because she is staring at me concernedly."Nicole?You going to be okay?"

I laugh tryingly,smiling as honestly as I can."I don't know."